Difference between /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/cua0

Difference between /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/cua0

Post by Thomas Baie » Thu, 04 Nov 2004 05:28:53

Hi there,

I've got a question about the difference between /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/cua0.
Im using the serial port to transmit data to a microcontroller and I've got
to PC both with SuSE Linux 9.0 prof. On the one I can use both ttyS0 and
cua0 and on the other I can only use cua0? Why is that and where is the
difference between them? I know that cua0 was thought for connections to
modems and that it is deprecated. Can anybody tell me maybe what options I
have to check to get my prog working with /dev/ttyS0 on both PC?

Thanks for your help

Thomas

1. /dev/cua0 vs. /dev/ttyS0

Ok, I'm no newbie, but I recently upgraded to kernel 2.2.x, and my
/dev/modem and /dev/mouse are linked to the /dev/cua* devices.  The new
kernel of course, warns me to change them to the /dev/ttyS* devices.

So I did, and I found that if my ppp script fails to connect, It won't
rerun, it seems to hang on the stty commands the second time.  The only way
I've found to fix the problem other than rebooting was to run minicom.

I changed /dev/modem back to cua0, and it works fine again.

I thought cua and ttyS are supposed to be equivalent?  Any Ideas?

--

Tony Smolar

http://www.ultranet.com/~asmolar           homepage

2. Can't get my modem to dial out in Mandrake Linux

3. Unable to bind to /dev/cua0 or /dev/ttyS0

4. (Q) Best CD-ROM/soundcard combination

5. What is the difference between /dev/sg0, /dev/scd0 /dev/hdd and /dev/cdrom ?

6. Device drivers (x86)

7. /dev/ttys0 or /dev/ttyS0?

8. newbe- custom in vmware

9. What is the difference between /dev/ttyS3, /dev/cua3, and /dev/ttys3 ?

10. SPARC - can't get to /dev/cua0 or /dev/cua1

11. help with /dev/modem <-> /dev/cua0

12. /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, /dev/midi., /dev/sndsta

13. difference between /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk....