ARM Linux and Redboot on Intel Assabet

Post by Kenneth L. Pederse » Fri, 29 Jun 2001 17:44:57

Hi,

I'm in the process of installing ARM Linux on my Intel Assabet
board using the Redboot bootloader.
I have tried kernel version 2.4.5-rmk7-np1 (the newest) and
2.4.5-rmk6-np1.
My binutils are version 2.10-1 and arm-linux-gcc is version 2.95.2-2.
The ramdisk is ramdisk_ks.gz from Nicolas Pitre's ftp-site.

I loaded zImage to RAM address 0x100000 and the ramdisk to
RAM address 0x800000 as suggested in the readme-files. When
I try to boot the kernel, Assabet freezes (nothing happens).

Also, if I load the zImage normally, ("load /tftpboot/zImage") Redboot
complains about "Unknown image format". I therefore have to download
the image as raw data (-r).

I have been experimenting with different kernel configurations
(including the default assabet settings), but nothing works.

Does anybody have experience with the combination of ARM linux
and RedBoot on Assabet?

Could someone please give me a clue to what the problem is?

Maybe you could point me to a precompiled version of zImage and
ramdisk that works?

Thanks in advance,
Kenneth

--
Please remove "sletdette" in my e-mail address to reply.

Post by Catalin Marina » Fri, 29 Jun 2001 20:42:57

> Hi,

> I'm in the process of installing ARM Linux on my Intel Assabet
> board using the Redboot bootloader.
> I have tried kernel version 2.4.5-rmk7-np1 (the newest) and
> 2.4.5-rmk6-np1.
> My binutils are version 2.10-1 and arm-linux-gcc is version 2.95.2-2.
> The ramdisk is ramdisk_ks.gz from Nicolas Pitre's ftp-site.

> I loaded zImage to RAM address 0x100000 and the ramdisk to
> RAM address 0x800000 as suggested in the readme-files. When
> I try to boot the kernel, Assabet freezes (nothing happens).

> Also, if I load the zImage normally, ("load /tftpboot/zImage") Redboot
> complains about "Unknown image format". I therefore have to download
> the image as raw data (-r).

AFAIK you cannot download compressed images, files to be downloaded may
either be executable images in SREC format or raw data. It is normal to
get "Unknown image format" if you load without -r because it is not in
SREC format.

For the ramdisk, you can uncompress it and load with -r flag.

For the kernel image, you have 2 choices, using the uncompressed image:

arm-linux-objcopy -O binary vmlinux vmlinux.bin
ln -s vmlinux.bin /tftpboot/vmlinux.bin
load /tftpboot/vmlinux.bin -r -b 0x100000

or

arm-linux-objcopy -O srec vmlinux vmlinux.srec
ln -s vmlinux.srec /tftpboot/vmlinux.srec
load /tftpboot/vmlinux.bin -b 0x100000

Hope it works,

Catalin.

ARM Linux and Redboot on Intel Assabet

Post by Catalin Marina » Fri, 29 Jun 2001 21:07:51

Just a small correction to my previous mail.

> > Hi,

> > I'm in the process of installing ARM Linux on my Intel Assabet
> > board using the Redboot bootloader.
> > I have tried kernel version 2.4.5-rmk7-np1 (the newest) and
> > 2.4.5-rmk6-np1.
> > My binutils are version 2.10-1 and arm-linux-gcc is version 2.95.2-2.
> > The ramdisk is ramdisk_ks.gz from Nicolas Pitre's ftp-site.

> > I loaded zImage to RAM address 0x100000 and the ramdisk to
> > RAM address 0x800000 as suggested in the readme-files. When
> > I try to boot the kernel, Assabet freezes (nothing happens).

> > Also, if I load the zImage normally, ("load /tftpboot/zImage") Redboot
> > complains about "Unknown image format". I therefore have to download
> > the image as raw data (-r).

> AFAIK you cannot download compressed images, files to be downloaded may
> either be executable images in SREC format or raw data. It is normal to
> get "Unknown image format" if you load without -r because it is not in
> SREC format.

> For the ramdisk, you can uncompress it and load with -r flag.

> For the kernel image, you have 2 choices, using the uncompressed image:

> arm-linux-objcopy -O binary vmlinux vmlinux.bin
> ln -s vmlinux.bin /tftpboot/vmlinux.bin
> load /tftpboot/vmlinux.bin -r -b 0x100000

> or

> arm-linux-objcopy -O srec vmlinux vmlinux.srec
> ln -s vmlinux.srec /tftpboot/vmlinux.srec
> load /tftpboot/vmlinux.bin -b 0x100000

This should be

load /tftpboot/vmlinux.srec -b 0x100000

Quote:> Hope it works,

> Catalin.

ARM Linux and Redboot on Intel Assabet

Post by Kenneth L. Pederse » Sat, 30 Jun 2001 00:35:43

Hi,

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately it didn't work.

I tried with a completely default assabet image. After
uncompressing the ramdisk I used this exact command
sequence:

linux# make distclean
linux# make mrproper
linux# make assabet_config
linux# make oldconfig
    (answering <enter> to "Default kernel command string")
linux# make dep
linux# make clean
linux# make Image
linux# make modules
linux# arm-linux-objcopy -O binary vmlinux vmlinux.bin
linux# cp vmlinux.bin /tftpboot
linux# telnet...

RedBoot> load /tftpboot/ramdisk_ks -r -b 0x800000
RedBoot> load /tftpboot/vmlinux.bin -r -b 0x100000
RedBoot> exec 0x100000

and then: nothing...

I also tried to download vmlinux.srec without the -r option,
but with the same result.

One thing I noticed with the redboot-command "help exec"
is that it says  "Execute an image - with MMU off"
Is that normal? Doesn't the linux-kernel expect that the memory
management unit is ON? I found the RedBoot binary on Nicolas
Pitre's ftp-site.

I should say that about 2 weeks ago I had a linux image running
on the same board using Angel. But I prefer to use RedBoot if
possible.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Kenneth

--
Please remove "sletdette" in my e-mail address to reply.

ARM Linux and Redboot on Intel Assabet

Post by Catalin Marina » Sat, 30 Jun 2001 20:50:08

I have no experience with this and I cannot give you any suggestions. Try
to read these:

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/redboot/executing-programs...
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/redboot/assabet.html

> RedBoot> load /tftpboot/ramdisk_ks -r -b 0x800000
> RedBoot> load /tftpboot/vmlinux.bin -r -b 0x100000
> RedBoot> exec 0x100000

Try "go 0x100000" instead of "exec".

--
Catalin

ARM Linux and Redboot on Intel Assabet

Post by Kenneth L. Pederse » Sat, 30 Jun 2001 23:55:25

Thanks again for your help!

It turned out that I missed the -l option in the exec command,
because the RedBoot image I used did not support it! A new
RedBoot binary solved the problem. The command
"exec -b 0x100000 -l 0x180000" now boots the kernel.

However, now I have a new problem: there is no login prompt.
The kernel writes a lot of startup-info in the terminal (minicom),
but no error messages or warnings.

Tux is on the LCD with a blinking cursor beneath it, and the last
three lines in minicom says:

Freeing initrd memory: 3072K
VFS Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).

And then it just hangs there.
Any suggestions?

Regards,
Kenneth

--
Please remove "sletdette" in my e-mail address to reply.

1. about glibc-arm & newlib-arm

Hi,
    In glibc configured with arm-linux, swi_write number is 0x69. While in
newlib configured with arm-linux, swi_write is 0x900004. How comes the
difference?

Thanks in advance.

                            Xu Junjuan

2. interface lo freezed at boot up

3. Hard Hat Linux on Assabet

4. Type1 Postscript Font problem with XFree86 3.3.3.1

5. How to redirect console ? (Assabet + Linux)

6. VPN

7. Matrox Mystique ands X.

8. Linux 4 A Small Office

9. Number of entries in Linux partition array / Redboot-style FIS table

10. assabet?

11. XWindow on Assabet board

12. redboot image for boot rom

13. Linux on Intel STL2 Dual Processor with Intel SC5000 casing and Sony LCD