beginner with PowerPC 405 question, please help!!

beginner with PowerPC 405 question, please help!!

Post by Shih-Ying Cho » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:12:46

Hi everyone,
    I am currently using the Embedded Planet's EP405 developmental board
with TimeSys Linux distrubution.
I was wondering have any one use this board and TimeSys Linux?  Because I
have encounter a problem while I
try to install the TimeSys Linux to the developmental board.

Host:  AMD Athlon 1G Hz
          256 DDR SDRAM 266 MHz
          RedHat Linux 7.2
          Kernel Version 2.14.19 stable

Borad:  Embedded Planet EP405
            IBM PowerPC 405 GP
            32 SDRAM

Problme:  The following steps were what I did to encounter the problem
1. set up minicom in serial port com 1 to the EP405 board with 9600 burd
rate and 8N1.
2. upload the kernel through Ethernet connection with tftp.
3. type go and hit enter (return) key, in minicom promt, which should
decompress and install the kernel,
but the problem appears, all the messages become unreadable characters and
after a while it hangs, it does not
response to any key.  Then even after press RESET botton on the EP405 board,
the welcome messages in the minicom
become unreadable characters also.

Have anyone encounter this type of problem before?  or you have any
suggestion go about solve this problem, please help me.

Thank you very much in advance!!

Shih-Ying Chou

beginner with PowerPC 405 question, please help!!

Post by àˉè£á » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:15:28

Hi, I'm also beginner with embedded system.
But I think I can help you.
I encountered the unreadable characters as you.
The problem was baud rate.
If the baud rate is changed, the character became unreadable.

there are sevaral solutions.
1) Just connect again by minicon in different baud rate.(Do not Reset)

2) Patch the kernel file. the file is uart.c I think..

Good luck

Quote:> Hi everyone,
>     I am currently using the Embedded Planet's EP405 developmental board
> with TimeSys Linux distrubution.
> I was wondering have any one use this board and TimeSys Linux?  Because I
> have encounter a problem while I
> try to install the TimeSys Linux to the developmental board.

> Host:  AMD Athlon 1G Hz
>           256 DDR SDRAM 266 MHz
>           RedHat Linux 7.2
>           Kernel Version 2.14.19 stable

> Borad:  Embedded Planet EP405
>             IBM PowerPC 405 GP
>             32 SDRAM

> Problme:  The following steps were what I did to encounter the problem
> 1. set up minicom in serial port com 1 to the EP405 board with 9600 burd
> rate and 8N1.
> 2. upload the kernel through Ethernet connection with tftp.
> 3. type go and hit enter (return) key, in minicom promt, which should
> decompress and install the kernel,
> but the problem appears, all the messages become unreadable characters and
> after a while it hangs, it does not
> response to any key.  Then even after press RESET botton on the EP405
board,
> the welcome messages in the minicom
> become unreadable characters also.

> Have anyone encounter this type of problem before?  or you have any
> suggestion go about solve this problem, please help me.

> Thank you very much in advance!!

> Shih-Ying Chou

beginner with PowerPC 405 question, please help!!

Post by Shih-Ying Cho » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 21:40:44

Thank you very much for replying.
But maybe I did not state it before.
At begineering, during the transmission of the kernel from the host to the
target board (ep405), the character was ok.
The problem occures after I try to decompress and install the kernel.
Also, the documentation provided by TimeSys states that I have to use 9600
baud rate.  So I don't think the baud is the
problem.
But thanks anyway.

Shih-Ying Chou

> Hi, I'm also beginner with embedded system.
> But I think I can help you.
> I encountered the unreadable characters as you.
> The problem was baud rate.
> If the baud rate is changed, the character became unreadable.

> there are sevaral solutions.
> 1) Just connect again by minicon in different baud rate.(Do not Reset)

> 2) Patch the kernel file. the file is uart.c I think..

> Good luck

> > Hi everyone,
> >     I am currently using the Embedded Planet's EP405 developmental board
> > with TimeSys Linux distrubution.
> > I was wondering have any one use this board and TimeSys Linux?  Because
> > have encounter a problem while I
> > try to install the TimeSys Linux to the developmental board.

> > Host:  AMD Athlon 1G Hz
> >           256 DDR SDRAM 266 MHz
> >           RedHat Linux 7.2
> >           Kernel Version 2.14.19 stable

> > Borad:  Embedded Planet EP405
> >             IBM PowerPC 405 GP
> >             32 SDRAM

> > Problme:  The following steps were what I did to encounter the problem
> > 1. set up minicom in serial port com 1 to the EP405 board with 9600 burd
> > rate and 8N1.
> > 2. upload the kernel through Ethernet connection with tftp.
> > 3. type go and hit enter (return) key, in minicom promt, which should
> > decompress and install the kernel,
> > but the problem appears, all the messages become unreadable characters
and
> > after a while it hangs, it does not
> > response to any key.  Then even after press RESET botton on the EP405
> board,
> > the welcome messages in the minicom
> > become unreadable characters also.

> > Have anyone encounter this type of problem before?  or you have any
> > suggestion go about solve this problem, please help me.

> > Thank you very much in advance!!

> > Shih-Ying Chou

1. HELP: Error 405: Resource not alowed

Hi.
When I submit this form which is supposed to be posted and sent via
email I get the 405 error (Method/resource not allowed).
Why is this?
Maybe I should allow the execution of CGIs but also I don't know how to.

Please tell me what to add in the config file(s).

TIA,
Andr

PS: please make sure you reply to: malafaya (at) milenio3.pt   by
removing NOSPAM from the reply address

2. iPerl V0.3 is better than cpp & m4 (de, en & eo)

3. Help! Waht does HTTP Error 405 me

4. PROBLEM: really strange behavior with rivafb in kernel 2.5.64

5. A question from a Linux beginner (please help!)

6. what does this mean?

7. Beginner's Question: Matrox MGA MIllenium - Please Help -

8. Mem leak checker ??

9. powerpc-linux, powerpc-eabi, powerpc-eabisim

10. Debian/GNU for IBM PPC 405

11. IBM 405 Walnut BIOS...

12. Http 405 Fehler Method not allowed (POST)

13. mem copy accelration on ppc 405