Linux interoperability

Post by Fabien Ribe » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 00:20:28

Hi all,

If any of you has already seen a Linux host connected to alien IP stack
like Solaris8, Cisco, Lynx0S, VRTX, Spider, Treck or others, please, can
you give the results (full interoperability or not) and some details
like versions numbers, used services or anything else useful to
establish an interoperability matrix.

Thanks, Fabien

Linux interoperability

Post by Luca Fin » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 23:31:36

> If any of you has already seen a Linux host connected to alien IP stack
> like Solaris8, Cisco, Lynx0S, VRTX, Spider, Treck or others, please, can
> you give the results (full interoperability or not) and some details
> like versions numbers, used services or anything else useful to
> establish an interoperability matrix.

The post is not clear. If you mean to asses the capability of a linux box
to exchange data with Solaris8 workstations over TCP/IP, well that's
granted (but what does "Cisco" mean in this context?).

I manage a LAN with tens of Solaris Workstations, Linux boxes, Windows
PC's (and a few Mac's). We use NFS to share files between Sun's and Linux
PC's and we have a limited use of samba to support Win PC's. All the
classical TCP/IP stuff obviously works as expected.

Is this the answer you were looking for?

                                                        l.
       -- )     Luca Fini                            Tel: +39 055 2752 307
 ___    |\      Osservatorio Astrofisico di Arcetri  Fax: +39 055 2752 292
/   |   | |-_   L.go E.Fermi, 5 +-----------------------------------------
(___|___//___)  50125 Firenze  /   WWW: http://www.arcetri.astro.it/~lfini

-----------------------------+--------------------------------------------
                              In a world without fences - who needs GATES?

1. OpenSSH/Linux interoperability with F-Secure/Solaris SFTP/SCP?

Hi folks,

I've got a Linux system (okay, more than one ;) with openssh 2.1.0p2
which (aside from not including sftp, yes, I know, use scp :) works
just fine.  I also use a Solaris 7/Sparc system with F-Secure's
ssh2 package.

I can ssh (both directions) between the Linux boxen and the Sparc
(and I might note openssh 2.1.0 appears to be a bit faster than the
old setup I had with ssh2 overlayed on ssh from the replay crypto
days).

I can't, though, move files between the Sparc and the Linux boxen.  This
puzzles me, since when I was installing openssh, I put it on one box
and was able to sftp into that box from the other Linux box (using
the old ssh/ssh2 setup) just fine, and I can rcp back and forth
between the Linux boxen (though openssh lacks sftp as I noted).

When I attempt to sftp from the Sparc to one of the Linux boxen, the
results look like this:

    local path  : /home/djb
    djb's password:
    remote path : Error: Operation timed out after 30 seconds.

    remote server failed.
    sftp>

When I attempt to scp from a Linux box to the Sparc, it looks like this:

    warning: select: Bad file descriptor
    lost connection

When I attempt to scp from the Sparc to a Linux box, it prompts me for
my password, then goes off into la-la land. ;)

All the boxes involved are pretty much locked down; telnet and FTP
daemons aren't even running, just the ssh daemons.

Has anyone else tried to get OpenSSH and F-Secure SSH to interoperate
at the more file-oriented end of things?  Any more success than I've
had?

Thanks,

-Dan

--
Dan Birchall - Palolo Valley, Honolulu HI - http://dan.scream.org
Get paid for your opinions - http://epinions.scream.org/join.html

2. Linux & 95 with TWO hard drives...

3. Solaris and Linux interoperability

4. Analogy

5. Any plans for Linux <=> NT file interoperability?

6. trouble with tripwire

7. nfs/nis interoperability Freebsd-linux?

8. Chroot on Linux 1.2.13

9. NIS server interoperability with Linux

10. rmcd Linux-Win2K interoperability--How does this work?

11. Linux - Novell Netware interoperability

12. Linux <-> Windows RSH interoperability problem

13. Sun Solaris and PC Linux media interoperability?