LINKS-Browser as Frontend for Automation, was: Embedded Linux Web Browsers

LINKS-Browser as Frontend for Automation, was: Embedded Linux Web Browsers

Post by Ernst Murnleitne » Fri, 23 May 2003 03:06:24

Hello,

some weeks ago there was a discussion about Embedded Linux Web Browsers.
I told you, that I would take LINKS
(http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/links/), but it had a
drawback, that Javascript could not be executed automatically.
There is a option in the latest release (2.1pre10) now, where they fixed
this (thanks to the programmers).

Now it is possible to use this browser as frontend:

As the meta-refresh tag is not recognized, a refresh must be done by adding
the following java script (I tested it with MS IE, Mozilla, Konqueror,
Links):

<head>
<script>
setTimeout("window.location.replace('URL')",2000)
</script>

URL is the new source, 2000 (ms) is for 2 seconds.

When the script is executed, the user is asked, if he wants to do so. This
can be changed in the settings.

A nice feature is, that one can adjust the number of retries. If the
automation server crashed and the program is restarted, LINKS therefore just
retries to get a web page without stopping the polls. You only have to
ensure, that every page contains the setTimeout().

The size of the browser seems to be 2 to 4 MBytes (depending on ./configure)
and up to 8 MBytes, if everything is linked statically.

Greetings
Ernst

LINKS-Browser as Frontend for Automation, was: Embedded Linux Web Browsers

Post by Ernst Murnleitne » Fri, 23 May 2003 18:55:14

Quote:> As the meta-refresh tag is not recognized, ....

Now also this is fixed. If the server sends "expires" the browser makes a
conditional get. The server can answer with 304 not changed.

Server must send one of these lines that disable links caching (according to
HTTP standard): "Pragma: no-cache", "Cache-Control: no-cache",

"Cache-Control: max-age=0" or "Expires: <current date and time>". Links
sends conditional If-modified-since GET on next request if server

sent "Date", "Last-Modified" or "Expires" field in previous reply. You can
set polling time with <META http-equiv="Refresh" content="10">

in document <HEAD> section, so that it will poll with 10 (or any other)
second delay.  The  server would answer "304 not modified" if no changes are
necessary. Links does change the page in that case and it continues to poll.

If someone is interested:

This changes are not in the actual version2.1pre10 now. I think, the
developers will put it on their homepage soon. Otherwise you can ask me.

Greetings

Ernst

1. Embedded Linux Web Browsers

- konqueror from the KDE suite has been ported (based on
qt/e)http://www.konqueror.org) and should be the most complete free
embedded browser
- there is Opera  (though commercial OEM only)

Oliver
Oliver Fels
Feed manager/Coordination
Project OPIE- the Open Palmtop Integrated Environment
http://opie.handhelds.org | http://www.opie.info (german)
IRC: irc.freenode.net #opie #opie.de

2. Redhat network install

3. how to make linux browser looks like windows browser

4. POSIX programming

6. BOCHS compilation under Linux

7. X-Web: Linux and X apps in a web browser

8. /dev/swap static

9. any prob with Web browser reading Unix symbolic link

10. A new embedded linux+Compact Window+Compact browser+VOD+TV

11. looking for open source object browser (besides "oo-browser")

12. browser cipher strength and browser back button disabling

13. A Browser is a Browser