Want to boot up 2 or more floppies with Syslinux

Want to boot up 2 or more floppies with Syslinux

Post by Barry Kaule » Sat, 19 Apr 2003 21:51:57

Hi,
I'm learning about the lower workings of Linux by gradually putting
together a mini distribution, that so far boots up with just one
floppy, using Syslinux. Eventually I plan to go for Compact Flash,
but for the next step I want to separate my kernel and root fs onto
separate floppies.

I'm using a monolithic kernel, no modules. My syslinux.cfg has this:

default vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 initrd=IMAGE.GZ

Can anyone tell me how and if I can stay with Syslinux and build the
system so that parts can be on 2 or more floppies?
My problem of course is that I want to add more stuff, and have increased
the format to 1743K, which is about as far as I can take it.

As for modules... well I'm a newbie in that area, so will leave that
one alone for now.

Note, I've left out the system.map -- I see some other tiny distributions
do also, so I guess it's not that critical.

Note, my single disk has busybox, tinylogin, Xvesa (but no X apps!).

Any thoughts in this welcome!

Regards,
Barry Kauler

1. use floppy when boot linux by boot floppy

Hello, I need help on using utility floppy when my linux is boot
by floppy.

Booting is ok, but I need some utilities like "mkdosfs" ...,
which are not contained in the boot&root diskettes. So I make a
utility floppy (mke2fs /dev/fd0; mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt;
cp /sbin/mkdosfs /mnt;) on another linux. Then I insert this
utility floppy back to my linux and mount it to /floppy.
Although, the "mkdosfs" can be seen by "ls" and "cat",
it can't be executed. The error message is "mkdosfs not found".
The boot&root diskettes are from Slackware.

I have check out Linux Bootdisk HOWTO but still have no idea what
happen here. Can you help? Thanks a lot.

2. NIS Slow when used in compat mode

3. Linux on WinChip?

4. help with RedHat 4.2

5. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

6. DIP - Dialing tone....

7. Failure installing tulip module - syslinux boot disk

8. PROBLEM: Using initrd loaded from syslinux causes oops during boot

9. syslinux and "kernel panic no init found .." at boot

10. SYSLINUX boot loader v 1.03 released

11. Wanted: Yggdrasil Plug-n-Play boot/install floppy images (for NFS,aand/or Internet installation)