virtual console/screen -> small/tiny "screen" app??

virtual console/screen -> small/tiny "screen" app??

Post by Bonny Gijze » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 19:21:06

Hi,

I have an embedded system, and my app is running and writes to console1
using simple printf().

I want to login using telnet and see some of my apps ouput.
How?

I cannot use writing to file, because I have a very small flashdisk,
AND it is mounted as RO for stability.

(I can also not send status through tcp/ip, because I must reduce cost of
GPRS connection)

I noticed the "screen" app, which does all I want, but my RH62 variant is
too big, i.e. uses too much lib's.
Anybody know where to get a smaller version?

Or maybe some of you know other solutions to achieve what I want?

--
Many regards,

Bonny Gijzen

virtual console/screen -> small/tiny "screen" app??

Post by FD » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 19:53:45

Quote:> Hi,

> I have an embedded system, and my app is running and writes to console1
> using simple printf().

> I want to login using telnet and see some of my apps ouput.
> How?

> I cannot use writing to file, because I have a very small flashdisk,
> AND it is mounted as RO for stability.

> (I can also not send status through tcp/ip, because I must reduce cost of
> GPRS connection)

> I noticed the "screen" app, which does all I want, but my RH62 variant is
> too big, i.e. uses too much lib's.
> Anybody know where to get a smaller version?

> Or maybe some of you know other solutions to achieve what I want?

I had a similar problem and solved it as follows.
The main (server) application created a 'virtual' screen in a piece of
shared memory. I wrote a small 'monitor' program that could display the
shared memory on the screen.

The monitor program can be used in telnet sessions. Later I even created a
minimalistic HTTP server (1 page only)  to display the shared memory as
HTML, so that you can use a browser remotely.

Frank

Is tinylogin coupled (with busybox) useful?:   http://tinylogin.busybox.net/

virtual console/screen -> small/tiny "screen" app??

Post by Bonny Gijze » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 16:40:52

Hi,

Quote:> Is tinylogin coupled (with busybox) useful?:

http://tinylogin.busybox.net/

I am already using a distro, based on Tinylogin and busybox.
But busybox hasn't got support for the "screen" app yet.

Rgs Bonny,

1. Which "virtual screen" to open a remote app on.

Basically I am using sawfish, but also a bit of olvwm ( waiting to see
if it integrates with KDE/Gnome well ).

At times I am working in another room on a laptop remotely running
applications. For example I have a telnet session open to the machine
I'm working on, set DISPLAY to my laptop and start emacs.

The question I have  is this;
is there a way to specify that emacs ( or any other app ) whould open
on the fourth virtual window instead of the third?

2. Reading PDP-11 Backup Tape

3. Export variable across new screens under "Screen"?

4. Looking for IP conectet program...

5. Can I allow other user to attach my "screen" with screen utility?

6. Problem with ldterm

7. Screen doesn't unblank with "screenblank" and "xlock" under 2.3

8. Apache, htaccess & cgi

11. picking"Display" subsections in "Screen" sections (XF86Config)

12. section "screen", subsection "display"

13. "screen" and "sz" together