Bad inittab entry

Post by Luke Alber » Wed, 25 Aug 2004 04:09:50

Hey everyone

I am making a very small system that fits on a 128MB CF card, and
think I have it in a almost bootable state. This morning was the first
time I tried booting it on the SBC that I am using, and it starts

Bad inittab entry: id:3:initdefault:
Bad inittab entry: rc::bootwait:/sbin/rc boot

I am using busybox if that might have anything to do with it.
Also, I couldnt figure out how to cross compile it, since I dont want to
use uClibc.  When I select cross compilation in the config, it defaults
to uClibc.  I do not know how to compile it for i386, so it is compiled
for 686.  So, i guess the problem could be that they are not compiled
for the right architecture, but i know that some of the other busybox
commands work.  What does someone else think?

I dont know what this means and can't figure it out on google. If
anyone can at least tell me what this means and point me in the right
direction, I would be very grateful

Bad inittab entry

Post by Luke Alber » Wed, 25 Aug 2004 04:45:03

I think this has something to do with the problem as well:

when i do /sbin/rc sysinit in the chroot on my own system:

localhost / # /sbin/rc sysinit
  * ERROR:  runlevel sysinit does not exist; exiting...
localhost / #

/sbin/rc boot and default both do something, but whatever it is it
doesnt work in the chroot and it messes up the Xterm.

BTW this system was based off of a Gentoo stage 1 tarball

Bad inittab entry

Post by Luke Alber » Wed, 25 Aug 2004 06:00:16

 > Bad inittab entry: id:3:initdefault:
 > Bad inittab entry: rc::bootwait:/sbin/rc boot
 >
 > I am using busybox if that might have anything to do with it.

I think that since I am using busybox init I need to have a different
inittab since it works differently.  However, I cant figure out how to
make the inittab that works with busybox init and gentoo's scripts.

Does this sound right?  Does anyone know how to do this?

Bad inittab entry

Post by kai-martin knaa » Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:54:54

> Hey everyone

> I am making a very small system that fits on a 128MB CF card, and think I
> have it in a almost bootable state. This morning was the first time I
> tried booting it on the SBC that I am using, and it starts loading up, but
> I get the following message:

> Bad inittab entry: id:3:initdefault:
> Bad inittab entry: rc::bootwait:/sbin/rc boot

> I am using busybox if that might have anything to do with it.

It might very well be. The init command contained in busybox understands
just a tiny subset of what is possible with the ordinary version.
If you look into the comments of my inittab-file you see, that
"initdefault" and "bootwait" are not in the list of supported actions.
Where did you get your /etc/inittab file from?

Can you just post your /etc/inittab ?

Quote:> Also, I
> couldnt figure out how to cross compile it, since I dont want to use
> uClibc.

Why not? uclibc allows for pretty small systems. In my case I have only
4Mb of memory and the system fits into just about 2MB. This already
includes a webserver and the ability to communicate via tcp/ip.

Quote:>  When I select cross compilation in the config, it defaults to
> uClibc.  I do not know how to compile it for i386, so it is compiled for
> 686.

In any case you need a properly configured gcc-toolchain with your desired
target compiled in.

    ---<(kaimartin)>--

PS: The /etc/inittab o my SBC looks like this:
--------------------------8<--------------------
# /etc/inittab
#

#
# modifiziert for lara -<(kmk)>-
#
# Note: BusyBox init doesn't support runlevels.  The runlevels field is
# completely ignored by BusyBox init. If you want runlevels, use
# sysvinit.
#
#
# id        == tty to run on, or empty for /dev/console
# runlevels == ignored
# action    == one of sysinit, respawn, askfirst, wait, and once
# process   == program to run

# main rc script
::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS

# main setup program
::respawn:-/bin/sh

# convenience shell
#tty2::askfirst:-/bin/sh

# set up stuff for logging
null::sysinit:/bin/dmesg > /dev/tty4
#tty3::respawn:/usr/bin/tail -f /var/log/messages
#tty4::respawn:/usr/bin/tail -f /proc/kmsg

# Stuff to do for the 3-finger salute
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot

# Stuff to do before rebooting
null::shutdown:/bin/umount -a -r
null::shutdown:/sbin/swapoff -a
----------------->8-----------------------

--
Kai-Martin Knaak

gpg-key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=kai-martin&op=index&exact=on

Bad inittab entry

Post by Ian Stirlin » Mon, 30 Aug 2004 06:54:23

> Hey everyone

> I am making a very small system that fits on a 128MB CF card, and
> think I have it in a almost bootable state. This morning was the first
> time I tried booting it on the SBC that I am using, and it starts

> Bad inittab entry: id:3:initdefault:
> Bad inittab entry: rc::bootwait:/sbin/rc boot

Have you tried booting the CF card on a PC?
CF to IDE adaptors are nearly free.

In general, busybox stuff is less tolerant of errors/whitespace
than others.
Have you read the busybox init manpages again?

1. IMNSearch entries on /etc/inittab question?

We have AIX 4.3.2 on S70.  I checked /etc/inittab and found following entries in
it:

imnss:2:once:/usr/IMNSearch/bin/imnss -start imnhelp >/dev/console 2>&1
httpdlite:2:once:/usr/IMNSearch/httpdlite/httpdlite -r
/etc/IMNSearch/httpdlite/httpdlite.conf >/dev/console 2>&1
imqss:2:once:/usr/IMNSearch/bin/imq_start >/dev/console 2>&1

Can anyone tell me what those entries doing?  Is it required?  Can I remove it?

Thanks

2. EtherExpress Pro100 - Problem

3. overly eager inittab entry

4. Quantum Fireball 2.1 gig SCSI?

5. /etc/inittab entry for dial-in [HELP]

6. SCO and Hostname

7. double entries in /etc/inittab file

8. Source for FM radio cards for Linux?

9. ssh inittab entry

10. Max limit of entries in /etc/inittab

11. inittab entries and "respawing too rapidly"

12. inittab entry for telnet session ??

13. Problem to understand entry in inittab