HW platform != x86 wanted. Any idea?

Post by Martin Eglof » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 00:22:56

I'm seeking a hardware platform which is not based on a x86 processor for an
embedded application. It'd be fine if Linux runned on it. We have the following
requirements:

 - Footprint less than ATX
 - No mechanical parts (no fan, no disks) -> high MTBF no noise
 - No active cooling
 - Computation power of at least the same as PentiumII at 200MHz
 - All Parts available for the next six years
 - Interfaces: Ethernet, USB, flatpanel display touch sensitive, mouse, keyboard

Do you have any idea what to use and where to look for?

Thanks
  Martin

HW platform != x86 wanted. Any idea?

Post by Mark A. Odel » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 00:45:38

Quote:> I'm seeking a hardware platform which is not based on a x86 processor
> for an embedded application. It'd be fine if Linux runned on it. We
> have the following requirements:

>  - Footprint less than ATX
>  - No mechanical parts (no fan, no disks) -> high MTBF no noise
>  - No active cooling
>  - Computation power of at least the same as PentiumII at 200MHz
>  - All Parts available for the next six years
>  - Interfaces: Ethernet, USB, flatpanel display touch sensitive, mouse,
>  keyboard

> Do you have any idea what to use and where to look for?

PowerPC 8255?

--
- Mark A. Odell
- Embedded Firmware Design, Inc.

HW platform != x86 wanted. Any idea?

Post by Lewin A.R.W. Edward » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 00:46:28

Quote:>  - Footprint less than ATX
>  - No mechanical parts (no fan, no disks) -> high MTBF no noise
>  - No active cooling
>  - Computation power of at least the same as PentiumII at 200MHz
>  - All Parts available for the next six years
>  - Interfaces: Ethernet, USB, flatpanel display touch sensitive, mouse,

keyboard

All of your requirements are doable except the "all parts available for the
next six years". Unless you buy huge stocks of this part, there is no way
you can guarantee availability in six years time, especially for parts like
the LCD.

I would suggest something based on the Intel StrongARM SA1110, since this
offers a good shot at longevity. (The SA1110 itself won't be in production
for much longer - 2-3 years at most - but it will be superseded by largely
code-compatible parts allowing a smooth migration).

--
-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
Personal http://www.larwe.com/ Work http://www.digi-frame.com/

HW platform != x86 wanted. Any idea?

Post by Klaus Pop » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 04:43:09

Try the MEN SC13 single board computer. Info at
http://www.men.de/products/busless/datasheet.asp?prod=sc13a
It has a PowerPC 8245 CPU (300MHz).
The only thing what's missing from your requirements list is the flatpanel
display, but that can be implemented with mezzanine modules (PC-MIP)

Klaus

Quote:> >  - Footprint less than ATX
> >  - No mechanical parts (no fan, no disks) -> high MTBF no noise
> >  - No active cooling
> >  - Computation power of at least the same as PentiumII at 200MHz
> >  - All Parts available for the next six years
> >  - Interfaces: Ethernet, USB, flatpanel display touch sensitive, mouse,
> keyboard

> All of your requirements are doable except the "all parts available for
the
> next six years". Unless you buy huge stocks of this part, there is no way
> you can guarantee availability in six years time, especially for parts
like
> the LCD.

> I would suggest something based on the Intel StrongARM SA1110, since this
> offers a good shot at longevity. (The SA1110 itself won't be in production
> for much longer - 2-3 years at most - but it will be superseded by largely
> code-compatible parts allowing a smooth migration).

> --
> -- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
> Personal http://www.larwe.com/ Work http://www.digi-frame.com/
> I lash, you lash, we all lash for goulash!

1. : Solaris x86 hw platform

I'm looking into purchasing an x86 system supported by Solaris 2.4 x86.
I would like to hear from x86 users on what hardware platform they use
or would like to use with Solaris.  Brands?  Hardware configs?  Memory
recommendations? ... etc.  Anyone running it on an SMP box out there?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
--
John Mastrolia                  * While most peoples' opinions change,
        ETS,Inc.                * the conviction of their correctness

2. PAS16 Card with linux

3. Best HW platform

4. cross over cable

5. compiling c++ for specific hw platforms

6. Spaces in Unix File Name

7. Q: Which HW-platform does LINUX prefer ?

8. Light Desktop Manager?

9. HW requirement for Solaris 8 on Intel Platform

10. Looking for suitable HW and SW for network traffic measurement platform

11. ** IDEAS: Cross-platform development using C++

12. HW/SW Dealers & Manufacturers urgently wanted.