Booting Linux on a Wyse 2315se

Post by Matt Call » Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:59:55

There was a message a month or so ago about running Linux on a Wyse
3215se. I have 3 2315se which look almost the same.
I have now managed to boot Linux on these machines using alios (with
small modifications). I am using a 2MB linear flash card.
So now the winterm boots into Linux over a serial port. Now I'm trying
to get the ethernet to work, but I'm not having any luck. It seems
that I can't see any devices on the ISA bus.
I'm assuming that something needs to be configured in the ELAN
registers to enable the ISA bus, but I don't know what. Does anyone
have any ideas, or will I be forced to try and work it out from the
Wyse ROM dissasembly?

Matt

Booting Linux on a Wyse 2315se

Post by Vincent Crabtre » Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:57:17

Hello,

I may be the original poster of the article you mentioned.

The reason you cannot see the peripherals on the ISA bus is that as you say,
they are not mapped. However, the ELan uses configurable chip select pins
that can appear in memory or IO address space, so not only does the ISA bus
have to be enabled but the CS pins also need setting up.

I began disassembling the Boot rom which sets up the
GPIO memory windows and chip selects. An overview of my finding is at the
link below

http://www-staff.lboro.ac.uk/~elvpc/electronics/Wyse3315se.html

To make further progress I have to continue disassembling the boot rom, but
finding
the enthusiasm to continue is difficult!

The 3315 contains a CL5400 LB vga chip but does not have much power to do
anything really useful, so I was interested to find out about the OpenAP
project below
http://opensource.instant802.com/

Since the hardware is very similar - in fact the 3315 contains extra bells
and whistles,
I wondered about converting the 3315 into a Wireless AP. However,
to do this I need to at least find out what CS pins the 2MB flash program
memory is
connected to. The Boot rom already kindly sets up the peripherals and does
nice
system tests for us, so I wanted to keep the boot rom as is, which would
allow us
to go back to windows CE if we should so wish. This would mean placing the
Kernel in the 2MB flash, and where the Boot rom expects the winCE kernel to
be
do some twiddeling to to get it to load, since the CE kernel expects to be
in
protected mode I believe, whereas the Linux kernel does not, something to do
with
head.s, setup.s or loader.s, cant remember

However, I appreciate this may be too difficult, so teh second option is to
place the Alios loader in the boot rom, along with the VGA bios if we still
need VGA. This means reprogramming the boot rom, which I assume is connected
to the ROMCS0 chip select line, and placing the Kernel in the 2mb flash
along with the rootfs either in the flash if there is enough space, or
in the NAND flash if not, but all this requires more discovery work.

There is still work to do disassembling the Boot rom to find out what GPIO
pins
the NAND flash, CS4231 and Program Flash are connected to. Might I ask what
link you shorted to get the ROMCS0 redirection for PCMCIA memory boot?

Contact me off line where I can tell you more about the Dissassembled boot
rom.

Thanks, Vincent

1. Need a termcap entry for Wyse-300 or Wyse-100 terminals

Subject says it all.  Does anyone here have a termcap entry on their sytem
or archived somewhere for a Wyse-300 or Wyse-100 terminal?  If not, any
pointers to places that might have one?  Email responses preferred but I'll
be checking for posts too just in case...
Thanks -
                                                -Neon.-

2. making enlightenment the default window manager

3. Problems with Wyse SVR4.0 on a Wyse 9000i

4. How to port graphics

5. Wyse X-Terminal Boot Image

6. SU problems.. - cannot set groups

7. WYSE terminal connection to linux box

8. PageUp and PageDown does not autorepeat

9. Wyse Termimal emulation for Linux

10. wyse 85 as Linux terminal

11. Using WYSE/dumb terminals under Linux?

12. Wyse terminal on linux

13. WYSE terminals from Linux SLS