Low-power device recommendation

Post by Pete » Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:45:53

Quote:> >Also, it takes regulated 5V while all solar
> > panels/batteries I've been able to find are 12V.

> If you don't know about switching voltage regulators, please stop
> thinking about building solar driven intelligent devices.

Hey, we all gotta start somewhere! ;) Will have to learn this stuph about
voltage regulators I guess... this is a learning experience for me.

Peter

Low-power device recommendation

Post by RusH » Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:38:41

Quote:> consider this: it's going to be a
> standalone unit, and connected to servers only via Internet
> (Ethernet or serial PPP + GPRS modem). It will need to send off
> data periodically to the server. Can a microcontroller handle
> this?

thats exactly what microcontrolers are for !

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH   //
 http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019

Low-power device recommendation

Post by Michael Schnel » Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:26:57

Quote:> OK, point me towards a cheapo MC that has 2 serial ports + 1-wire interface.
> Basic Stamp could work, but it's awfully expensive for it's functionality -
> Maxim's TINI sells for ~80$ (2 serials + 1wire + ethernet + Java + ssh
> access + ftp access + godknowswhatelse)

You might want to take a look at the Ubicom 2022. I think it can do all
this (with exception of the interpreters for JAVA / PERL) with it's
internal flash and RAM for some $7. You only need to add a crystal. It
does have a power save mode that slows down or stops the CPU while a
timer can wake it.

They offer an upgrade path to the 3023 that is much more powerful but
needs more external components.

See www.ubicom.com

-Michael

Post by RusH » Thu, 14 Oct 2004 19:17:05

Quote:> OK, point me towards a cheapo MC that has 2 serial ports + 1-wire
> interface.

http://microchip.com/

choose, they are sub 5$

Pozdrawiam.
--

Post by Pete » Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:14:32

Quote:> The guys at Technologic have a cheap board. www.embeddedarm.com, look at
> the TS-7200. For about $390 you are into the embedded Linux arena. Or
> just get the board for $150 and work out the development stuff onto a
> card for yourself.

TS-7200 seems like a good choice. Can anyone explain to a newbie what DIO
is?

Quote:> I think for a project like this you might want to think slightly
> smaller. Do you really need all those capabilities?

Maybe not. Guess I'll have to explore microcontroller arena, although it
sounds way too complicated at the moment.

Peter

Post by Alex Gibso » Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:16:27

Quote:>> > consider this: it's going to be a
>> > standalone unit, and connected to servers only via Internet
>> > (Ethernet or serial PPP + GPRS modem). It will need to send off
>> > data periodically to the server. Can a microcontroller handle
>> > this?

>> thats exactly what microcontrolers are for !

> OK, point me towards a cheapo MC that has 2 serial ports + 1-wire
> interface.
> Basic Stamp could work, but it's awfully expensive for it's
> functionality -
> Maxim's TINI sells for ~80$ (2 serials + 1wire + ethernet + Java + ssh
> access + ftp access + godknowswhatelse)

> Peter

8 bit micros

atmel avr  , microchip pic, TI msp430