Storage Recovery

Post by spanne » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 19:37:27

I'm about to study a recovery system in linux embedded environment.
Is there a kind of RAID system, open source, managing flash memories in
linux embedded environment?
If not, is it possible to create new recovery system which recovers all
datas when crash occurs in linux embedded system?
AND HOW?
Please tell me where I can find some useful information.

Storage Recovery

Post by Richard Pit » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 15:45:13

There are a number of file systems which have as their design precepts
the ability to survive power failure and other electrically catastrophic
events (as opposed to physically catastrophic - a whole other problem)

There is both software RAID support and journaled file systems - and with
certain FLASH type storage media, it might be possible to use either or
both.

What is it that you have as requirements?

certain RAID configurations can survive the failure of a device - and may
even survive the failure of more than one device if enough spares are
available along with the time to re-build the RAID array elapses between
failures.

Journalling file systems are better at surviving power failures -
failures of the whole system as opposed to failure of a single drive
component.

Take a look at JFFS (Journalling Flash File System)

richard

--
Richard C. Pitt                 C.E.O. Belcarra Messaging Corp.

Embedded Linux Systems: Design, Creation, Integration
Specializing in USB, Flash, and all things TCP/IP

Storage Recovery

Post by Michael Schnel » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 17:08:48

11:37

Quote:>Is there a kind of RAID system, open source, managing flash memories in
>linux embedded environment?

I suppose the easiest way is get a PCI-IDE-Raid adapter card and hook
several IDE-Flash memory devices (cards or boxes) to same.

Of course there are software solutions, too.

A journalling file system (Reiser, XFS or EXT3) will help, too.

-Michael Schnell, Lumino GmbH,
 Oppumer Stra?e 81-83, D-47799 Krefeld, Germany.

 Tel.: +49-2151-8196-72  Fax: +49-2151-8196-66-72

1. Solaris 10 / Kernel Tunables / Storage HBA's / Storage Arrays

Hi all,

quick question - working on a automated solaris 10 build for our
customers, and they support a number of different HBA's and Storage
arrays - I wonder if anyone has come across a good reference point for
suggested Kernel Tunables for storage within solaris

for some of detail - HBA's are a mix of the usual suspects from Emulex
and Qlogic
Storage arrays are (again) usual suspects from EMC / HDS etc.

any words of wisdom would be greatfully recieved.

Many thanks,

Stuart

2. Tuning my Video

3. print faults/recovery under Sol 2.3

4. kfm crashing when viewing local files

5. AIX install & recovery example

6. Burn CDs using cdrecord: re-post

7. RAID 5 failure recovery

8. Linux Root Disk Hangs

9. HAS ANYONE GOTTEN A RECOVERY PLAN TO WORK WITH FTAPE ?????

10. AIX Recovery and mksysb

11. error analysis/handling/detecting/reporting/preventing/recovery/reproduce/debug

12. HELP: Tape data recovery

13. how to recovery file permission in ksh