Executing a exe file on uClinux (board: ColdFire m5272c3)

Executing a exe file on uClinux (board: ColdFire m5272c3)

Post by Benn » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:44:16

Hi,

I'm trying to execute a simple hello world c program on uClinux (running on
Motorola M5272C3) .  I've compile it with the command "m68k-elf-gcc
hello.c -o hello -lc -Wl,-elf2flt -m5307" and it was successful.  I then
uploaded it to the target board via TFTP in to the /VAR/TMP folder on
uclinux.

The problem I'm having is I am unable to run the file on uclinux because it
is giving me a "permission denied" error when I try to run "./hello".  Iwas
told a while ago that I must change the permission for the application by
going "chmod +x hello".  However that's also giving me a "Mode must be
octal" error.  Now I am stuck on what I can do.

Any help on how to get a simple executable running would be great!

Cheers,
Benny

Executing a exe file on uClinux (board: ColdFire m5272c3)

Post by Rob Tur » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:59:22

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm trying to execute a simple hello world c program on uClinux (running
on
> Motorola M5272C3) .  I've compile it with the command "m68k-elf-gcc
> hello.c -o hello -lc -Wl,-elf2flt -m5307" and it was successful.  I then
> uploaded it to the target board via TFTP in to the /VAR/TMP folder on
> uclinux.

> The problem I'm having is I am unable to run the file on uclinux because
it
> is giving me a "permission denied" error when I try to run "./hello".
Iwas
> told a while ago that I must change the permission for the application by
> going "chmod +x hello".  However that's also giving me a "Mode must be
> octal" error.  Now I am stuck on what I can do.

> Any help on how to get a simple executable running would be great!

> Cheers,
> Benny

This probably means that your 'chmod' is a scaled-down version to save
space. You can establish the same result by executing a 'chmod 777 hello'.
The 777 is an octal number, each digit having three bits. The least
significant bit is the one that determines if it's executable. Run the
'ls -l' command on your system and you will get something like this:
-rwxrw-r-x    1    root    root    12345    Oct 22 12:00    hello
^^^^^^^^ These correspond to the permission bits. This example shows 'rwx'
as the Owner permissions. All are on, so binary '111' or octal '7'. The
Group permissions are 'rw-', binary '110', octal '6'. The World permissions
are 'r-x', binary '101', octal '5'. You can set these permissions with
'chmod 765 hello'.

Hope this helps,

Rob

1. Motorola Coldfire M5249C3 eval board IDE interface w/uClinux

I'm running the uClinux-dist-20020701 version of uClinux (from
uclinux.org) on an M5249C3 Coldfire eval board.  I'v connected an IDE
hard drive (that already has an ext2 file system) to it's IDE
interface.

I've compiled the kernel with IDE support and changed  the ram disk to
have all the appropriate /dev/hda /dev/hda1...etc devices with the
correct major and minor numbers, but it doesn't recognize the device
at all.  I can't mount it, and can't even access it with dd.

The M5249C3 manual says virtually nothing about it's IDE interface.
Has anyone used it with uClinux?  Thanks in advance.

Tom

2. Fix for tcsh-6.05 under NIS+?

3. uCLinux/Coldfire Serial ports

4. How to munt 640MB mo?

5. pppd uClinux Coldfire

6. Remember Brainwashed teens, yer hero linus works for MSFT, heh

7. Attaching LCD to Motorola Coldfire 5282/uCLinux

8. please help me w/ this X problem

9. TCP/IP with uCLinux on Coldfire

10. uClinux 2.4 kernel for ColdFire, 68K and ARM cores

11. uCLinux for Coldfire or ARM

12. uClinux / Coldfire: mmap(2) alignment problem

13. uClinux 2.4 kernel for ColdFire, 68K and ARM cores