device driver using serial port

Post by Simon Ha » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 09:33:18

Hi,
    I am trying to write a device driver using serial port to communicate
with Atmel AVR.  After reading Rubini's Linux device drivers first edition,
I could not find where I should start.  Should I use register_serial() in
this case?  Or just start on basic file operations?  Could someone help me a
little bit since I have no clue where in the source code I should read and
write data from/to the serial port?
And how to read/write serial port?  A pointer to a similar device driver
using serial port will be really helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Simon

Post by Sven Geggu » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 15:43:01

>     I am trying to write a device driver using serial port to communicate
> with Atmel AVR.

Is there a special reason to do this in Kernelspace? I don't know what kind
of device the Atmel AVR is, so I can't tell if there is.

You may well be able to use the existing Device driver for RS232 devices.

A device driver may be necessary if you need some other funktionality
provided by the Kernel only. Examples are Network devices connected to the
serial port. You will probably have a look at the irda tty driver for a
possible Example how to implement this.

Sven

--
"Even though I once ported Midnight Commander for NT, I now think,
that giving OpenSource support for an OS that is commercial is nonsense"

device driver using serial port

Post by Simon Ha » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 14:14:49

The reason behind it is that the device driver is for embedded Linux.  I am
using Familiar.org distribution.  We would like to save the delay between
user program.  Another reason is that the device driver is part of network
protocol stack.  We want to queue user program specific data in terms of
port number so that user program can open any number of ports.  In this way,
we can support mutiple access to the serial port.

Simon

> >     I am trying to write a device driver using serial port to
communicate
> > with Atmel AVR.

> Is there a special reason to do this in Kernelspace? I don't know what
kind
> of device the Atmel AVR is, so I can't tell if there is.

> You may well be able to use the existing Device driver for RS232 devices.

> A device driver may be necessary if you need some other funktionality
> provided by the Kernel only. Examples are Network devices connected to the
> serial port. You will probably have a look at the irda tty driver for a
> possible Example how to implement this.

> Sven

> --
> "Even though I once ported Midnight Commander for NT, I now think,
> that giving OpenSource support for an OS that is commercial is nonsense"
> (Juan Grigera on slashdot.org)

1. device driver using serial port

Hi,
    I am trying to write a device driver using serial port to communicate
with Atmel AVR.  After reading Rubini's Linux device drivers first edition,
I could not find where I should start.  Should I use register_serial() in
this case?  Or just start on basic file operations?  Could someone help me a
little bit since I have no clue where in the source code I should read and
write data from/to the serial port?
And how to read/write serial port?  A pointer to a similar device driver
using serial port will be really helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Simon

2. xanim file missing?

3. Accessing serial ports using device drivers.

4. yacc and linux

5. Driver for MIDI device that uses serial port

6. Anyone really using Extreme Linux?

7. Comtroll RS422 8-Ports serial device driver

8. avm fritz pci

9. Linux/multi-port serial cards device drivers - help

10. how to bypass serial port device driver?

11. Driver for serial port device

12. Device Driver Sources for Serial port required

13. using serial port to trigger device