Question on Xilinx VirtexPro II FPGA chip... please

Question on Xilinx VirtexPro II FPGA chip... please

Post by Mark Levitsk » Sat, 16 Oct 2004 18:30:41

I'd appreciate if someone could answer a few questions below:  If you reply
by email, REMOVE "SPAMNOMORE" in capital letters repeated in my address
twice (edit address manually)!!

We ordered "Xilinx Virtex-Pro II" development kit, your answers will NOT
change buying decisions - its already here, we need to know:
1. Is it possible to put either Linux or Nucleus RTOS into this chip memory,
to my knowledge your chip includes two PowerPC's and we intend to use it as
a host?  Note we need to know if either OS can be loaded, not both, we will
experiment with Linux and then Nucleus RTOS (Nucleus RTOS is Realtime
Operating System from AcceleratedTechnology/MentorGraphics Corporation, for
Xilinx FPGA's embedded design).

2. If yes, when Linux or Nucleus RTOS is loaded, will we get communications
stack and drivers for IEEE 802.11 in ad-hoc mode (this as any EE Engineer
knows is a wireless LAN standard)?

3. If yes, then we'll purchase a standard IEEE 802.11 card, can this card be
plugged into your development kit port?  From what I gathered from my
professor, he intends to plug this card into your "serial port", but seems
strange to me.

4. Maybe you can suggest additional Xilinx products to use in our IEEE
802.11 wireless communications project (ad-hoc mode)?

VirtexPro II development kit is already here and I was asked to research the
above information to start design.

Thanks for your time.

Question on Xilinx VirtexPro II FPGA chip... please

Post by RusH » Mon, 01 Nov 2004 20:14:53

Quote:> 2. If yes, when Linux or Nucleus RTOS is loaded, will we get
> communications stack and drivers for IEEE 802.11 in ad-hoc mode
> (this as any EE Engineer knows is a wireless LAN standard)?

yes with linux

Quote:> 3. If yes, then we'll purchase a standard IEEE 802.11 card

there are no "standard cards" :), Linux drivers are for limited
amount of chips

Quote:>, can
> this card be plugged into your development kit port?

which one ?  PCMCIA/CARDBUS/mPCI/PCI/USB - yes, GPIO + bitbanging -
can be done, but its the hard way

Quote:>  From what I
> gathered from my professor, he intends to plug this card into your
> "serial port", but seems strange to me.

not strange if this serial port is USB

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH   //
 http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019

1. Xilinx FPGA troubles

Hi,

  I guess this is a bit off-topic here, but I have no idea where else
to ask and all google-searches didn't came up with anything useful
until now....

I'm trying to write or improve drivers for two cards that have a
Xilinx FPGA, one card is an ISAPnP card, the other one is a PCI card.
In both cases the Xilinx FPGA seems to be responsible for the ISAPnP/
PCI functionality of the card and in both cases some binary "program"
must be downloaded to the chip before it starts to work. My problem
isn't so much the download of the data but that this download only
works one time. Since one of the cards is in a machine I have no
physical access to I can only be sure about the PCI card: when I
try to do the download a second time I get errors (some bits
indicating success won't get set). I have to switch off the machine
completely and only then I can again do the download (just
"shutdown -r now" won't do).

Now my question is if anybody has some experience with these chips
and knows if there is a way to figure out if it has already been
initialized (in which case I simply could leave out the initiali-
zation)? Or is there any source of information which I was too
stupid to find?
                                    Regards, Jens
--
      _  _____  _____

  _  | |  | |    | |
 | |_| |  | |    | |          http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~toerring
  \___/ens|_|homs|_|oerring

2. Our liberty and privacy eroding ....

3. Question on Xilinx VirtexProII PCMCIA support (FPGA boards).... please

4. Mach32.. still struggling.

5. MODELSIM_SE_PLUS_V5.7F, ModelSim_SE_Plus_v5.7G, MODELSIM_XILINX_EDITION_II_V5.7C, XiliNX.Embedded.Development.Kit, XILINX.ISE.V5.1i, XILINX.ISE.V5.2I, XILINX_CHIPSCOPE_PRO_V6.2i, XILINX_ISE_V42I, XILINX_SYSTEM_GENERATOR_V3.1, XILINXFOUNDATIONSERIESISE33I,

6. Whatever happened to Gnome File Manager (GFM)

7. Need XF86Config for ATI 3D Rage II or II+ please

8. Alternative to "viral" for GPL

9. Zeos - AMD onboard SCSI II chip -- supported???

10. Pentium II chips

11. Support for the Diamond Stealth II G460 with the Intel Chip

12. How to install Linux Redhad 5.2 on a comp with a AMD K6 II chip

13. Permedia II with TI-Chip - what Server?