Installer

Post by Viktar Siarheich » Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:49:20

Does anybody know of linux installer for some embedded platform than
has no keyboard or display but has only serial port and ethernet?

Installer

Post by H.-J.Oerte » Tue, 26 Oct 2004 05:36:20

> Does anybody know of linux installer for some embedded platform than
> has no keyboard or display but has only serial port and ethernet?

look for - google - something like
"linux boot loader"

Heinz
--

with best regards / mit freundlichen Gr?en

   Heinz-Jrgen Oertel
+===================================================================
| Heinz-Jrgen Oertel  port GmbH  http://www.port.de

| phone +49 345 77755-0     fax   +49 345 77755-20
| Regensburger Str. 7b,     D-06132 Halle/Saale,  Germany
| CAN Wiki    http://www.CAN-Wiki.info
| Newsletter: http://www.port.de/engl/company/content/abo_form.html
+===================================================================

Installer

Post by Viktar Siarheich » Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:24:20

> > Does anybody know of linux installer for some embedded platform than
> > has no keyboard or display but has only serial port and ethernet?
> look for - google - something like
> "linux boot loader"

Thank you, but I'm looking for installer (e.g. Debian Installer,
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ ), not just boot loader
(e.g. RedBoot, http://sources.redhat.com/redboot/ ). More over, I'd
like to find an installer capable to install to a board without
display and keyboard, only containing ethernet and serial ports, (e.g.
EP80219 from Embedded Planet,
http://www.embeddedplanet.com/products/ep80219.asp ).

Thank you.

Installer

Post by Tim Rike » Thu, 28 Oct 2004 03:27:18

The debian installer uses isolinux which is part of the syslinux
package. You probably need a boot image that has syslinux.cfg edited to
include the line:

serial 0 115200

or just

serial 0 9600

depending on your baud rate. You will also need to append to the kernel
command line the equivalent console=ttyS0,115200n8 type option.

After that I'd expect the installation to proceed just fine as long as
you pick english language. Serial install in unicode does not sound very
likely. ;-)

It's been a while since I've tried this. Here are some useful googled pages:

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/hackdi/
http://www.patoche.org/LTT/install/00000103.html <- old
http://www.zytor.com/pipermail/syslinux/2004-January/002957.html

1. different X-server between R5 X-installer and RedHat installer ??

...R5 install from a home burnt CDROM : the problems I still have...

All was installed fine by the X-installer (exept the enlightment config
app).
And I even managed to have accelerated display (ATI Rage Pro of a beige G3).
But I tried to launch the Xconfigurator from the single mode, and since then
the init 5 level can not launch X since it seems tat there are problems with
xfs (the font server).

I think that the X-installer and the RedHat installer install 2 different
X-server. Is it right ?

It seems that the X-installer installs Xpmac (because there was no
/etc/X11/XF86Config file), and the RedHad installs Xfree86.
Which is the more efficient for the ATI Rage Pro ?
The userguide distinguish between 2 setup processes ("Booting LinuxPPC
chapter) according to the installer chosen. Can I use Xfree86 even if I did
the standard Linux X-install ?

Thanks if s.o. could answer these questions.
Sylvain DECAUX

2. crontab entries not executing; please help

3. LinuxPPC: X Linux installer vs Red Hat installer

4. cheaper LocalDirector clone?

5. NEW installer.coff [was: Q: installer 'Components to Install' ]

6. .AVI player?

7. Strange error in RedHat installer...

8. shareware partition tool?

9. --RANT-- LinuxPPC 2000 installer: What a mess!

10. slackware installer and filesizes

11. True Type Font Installer

12. HELP! about analyse and modify redhat anaconda installer.

13. Installer doesn't see scsi device