Remote debugging

Remote debugging

Post by Rush » Sun, 08 Feb 2004 15:58:43



Remote debugging  

Greetings,

My Linux runes on x86 based SBC with custom build frame grabber and
data acquisition on PCI.

I am debugging undocumented codes which have been messed with from 10
persons in past 8 years. 

I can not set breakpoint and debug it on my machine as application
needs frame grabber, I/O and few more things.

I know remote debugging is possible on Ethernet. Can some one please
suggest how I can debug my application on my original hardware from
development machine on Ethernet?

Thanks in advance

Rushi

 
 
 

Remote debugging

Post by Tauno Voipi » Sun, 08 Feb 2004 17:47:03



> Remote debugging  

> Greetings,

> My Linux runes on x86 based SBC with custom build frame grabber and
> data acquisition on PCI.

> I am debugging undocumented codes which have been messed with from 10
> persons in past 8 years. 

> I can not set breakpoint and debug it on my machine as application
> needs frame grabber, I/O and few more things.

> I know remote debugging is possible on Ethernet. Can some one please
> suggest how I can debug my application on my original hardware from
> development machine on Ethernet?

> Thanks in advance

See the GDB manual for Remote Debugging.

There is a program called gdbstub in the GDB package. You need to run
it in the target system and connect to it from the host system
running the GDB user interface part.

To use the Ethernet connection you need a working TCP/IP
stack in oth computers. The GDB remote connection can use TCP
to transport the data.

HTH

Tauno Voipio


 
 
 

Remote debugging

Post by Robert Kais » Sun, 08 Feb 2004 23:33:23




Quote:

> There is a program called gdbstub in the GDB package. You need to run
> it in the target system and connect to it from the host system
> running the GDB user interface part.

Good advice. Except that, IIRC, the program is called "gdbserver".

Quote:> To use the Ethernet connection you need a working TCP/IP
> stack in oth computers. The GDB remote connection can use TCP
> to transport the data.

(Again, IIRC), gdbserver can also be set up to connect through
a serial connection.

Rob

--
Robert Kaiser                     email: rkaiser AT sysgo DOT com
SYSGO AG                          http://www.elinos.com
Klein-Winternheim / Germany       http://www.sysgo.com

 
 
 

Remote debugging

Post by Tauno Voipi » Mon, 09 Feb 2004 01:03:32





>>There is a program called gdbstub in the GDB package. You need to run
>>it in the target system and connect to it from the host system
>>running the GDB user interface part.

> Good advice. Except that, IIRC, the program is called "gdbserver".

>>To use the Ethernet connection you need a working TCP/IP
>>stack in oth computers. The GDB remote connection can use TCP
>>to transport the data.

> (Again, IIRC), gdbserver can also be set up to connect through
> a serial connection.

> Rob

1. Right - I should have checked and not relied on memory. A custom
thing doing the same is called a GDB stub (I'm using such a tool
to remote debug ARM code with a PC host and serial connection).

2. The OP asked for Ethernet connection.

Tauno Voipio

 
 
 

Remote debugging

Post by RM » Wed, 11 Feb 2004 04:00:57


www.ltrix.com


Quote:> Remote debugging

> Greetings,

> My Linux runes on x86 based SBC with custom build frame grabber and
> data acquisition on PCI.

> I am debugging undocumented codes which have been messed with from 10
> persons in past 8 years. ?

> I can not set breakpoint and debug it on my machine as application
> needs frame grabber, I/O and few more things.

> I know remote debugging is possible on Ethernet. Can some one please
> suggest how I can debug my application on my original hardware from
> development machine on Ethernet?

> Thanks in advance

> Rushi

 
 
 

Remote debugging

Post by Rush » Wed, 11 Feb 2004 06:26:14


Thanks lads,

I will give it a go soon

Cheers

Rush





> >>There is a program called gdbstub in the GDB package. You need to run
> >>it in the target system and connect to it from the host system
> >>running the GDB user interface part.

> > Good advice. Except that, IIRC, the program is called "gdbserver".

> >>To use the Ethernet connection you need a working TCP/IP
> >>stack in oth computers. The GDB remote connection can use TCP
> >>to transport the data.

> > (Again, IIRC), gdbserver can also be set up to connect through
> > a serial connection.

> > Rob

> 1. Right - I should have checked and not relied on memory. A custom
> thing doing the same is called a GDB stub (I'm using such a tool
> to remote debug ARM code with a PC host and serial connection).

> 2. The OP asked for Ethernet connection.

> Tauno Voipio


 
 
 

1. GDB remote debug with JTAG ...

Does someone knows the difference and advantages between the different
solutions on the market
( EPI jeeni, Abatron BDI 2000, Lauterbach, Macgraigor OCDemon ...)

I explain what i want to do :

I'm developping for an embedded target ( ARM720 under linux BlueCat from
lynuxworks ) the board
is a cirrus logic cdb89712.

I want to develop under x86 linux, and i want to use standard GNU cross
developement utils (Gcc GDB/Insight).
I want to debug the kernel and user process with source support.
This processor have a MMU, does it changes something for the choice ?

Ok that's all

Thanks by advance
Thomas TESTASECCA
ETIC telecom

2. Please - Adaptec2920 drivers....

3. remote debugging -- howto ? (Solaris 2.x)

4. Password file

5. Remote debugging using KDevelop 3.0 (Gideon)

6. how to get more then 10000 lines in command window

7. Remote debugging using gdb server

8. Netscape Memory leak??

9. Remote debugging on Linux

10. Problem with GDB remote debugging

11. gdbserver or other ways to remote debugging

12. how to cinpile and configure the kernel for remote debugging?

13. Remote Debugging