Mount an uncompressed fs on ramdisk?

Post by Jana Volkme » Thu, 04 Nov 2004 00:07:36

Sorry, I think my last question missed the point.

If you want to have am ram-fs, you "normally" just tell lilo to create a
ram-disk and mount your compressed fs into it. Is is possible to mount an
uncompressed fs (no image) which is stored on a compact flash?

1. lilo.config to load hda1 to ramdisk & mount it as root fs?

Hi, I've got a 128 Mb flashdisk with hda1 partition of size 48Mb
(actually 50192Kb), of which 41Mb is used. I can directly boot this
partition with a standard lilo configuration. Oh, I have 64Mb
of RAM, but the OS, my small program, and no other servers require
only 6Mb of this.

Since it is a flashdisk, with limited rewrite capabilities, I would like
to read the whole of this hda1 partition into a ramdisk and use the
ramdisk as the root fs, that way I only ever read from the flashdisk.

I don't think I need to use initrd (since my kernel *already* has
everything it will need, I do not need to do a two-stage boot),  and I
don't think I need a compressed image of the root filesystem (since the
first partition, which, as explained above, I can also use directly as
the root filesystem, contains exactly what I want to load into RAM).

Ok, so my 2.2.19 kernel has ramdisk support compiled in - i.e. not
just as a module, and also loopback device and initrd, though I don't
think I need the last two of these.

My lilo.config has:

        boot=/dev/hda
        prompt
        timeout=30

        #  To use hda1 as root
        image=/path/to/the/kernel
                label=flash
                root=/dev/hda1

        #  To load hda1 into ram0 and use *that* as root fs
        image=/path/to/the/kernel
                label=ram
                append="root=/dev/ram0 start_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=50192 load_ramdisk=1"

Booting the 'flash' works fine, but booting 'ram' doesn't; the
kernel gets loaded correctly, but then it says "can't mount root
filesystem on 01:00". I presume '01:00' means major 1 minor 0, which
*is* ram0, so it seems that the kernel knows what I want to be the root
filesystem, it's only that it failed to load the partition into memory
before trying to mount it.

I also tried adding 'prompt_ramdisk=1' just to see if it was even seeing any of
the ramdisk-related kernel parameters, but it did not prompt me after
which it should have done.

Can anybody offer any advice? Many thanks!

Alexis

2. windows secure POP clients

3. mount ramdisk as real root fs

4. Office Applicationz

5. ramdisk and initrd fail: unable to mount root fs on 01:00 (from standard LRP 3.0.0pre)

6. help on shell script

7. problem with creating ramdisk: kernel loads, but hangs when it tries to mount ramdisk

8. null-modem connecting linux and win98

9. ramdisk for linux: mount /ramdisk

10. Mounting msdos fs and cdrom fs

11. Kyocera FS 1600 or FS 1600+ Printer drivers ( FS-1600 FS-1600+)

12. Mounting minix fs and msdos fs under same directory?

13. problems mounting NT fs on Linux fs ...