Problem Installing XFree86 on Intel based NetBSD 1.1

Problem Installing XFree86 on Intel based NetBSD 1.1

Post by K. Turv » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00



I am having a problem installing XFree86 under NetBSD 1.1.  I checked
the FAQ and can't find anything.  It seems to be related to xterm and
not X itself.  If I run X directly then everything seems to run O.K.
(Unfortunately I can't start any other programs... I assume xterm is a
requirement if X is to be useful)  I am new to X and relatively new to
UNIX so I appologize if this problem has an obvious answer.  

Below is the output from running the command

startx >& startx.out

TIA


------------------------------------------------------------------------

XFree86 Version 3.1.2 / X Window System
(protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6000)
Operating System: NetBSD 1.0
Configured drivers:
  S3: accelerated server for S3 graphics adaptors (Patchlevel 0)
      mmio_928, s3_generic
Using pccons driver with X support
XF86Config: /etc/XF86Config
(**) stands for supplied, (--) stands for probed/default values
(**) Mouse: type: Busmouse, device: /dev/mms0, baudrate: 1200,
       3 button emulation (timeout: 50ms)
(**) S3: Graphics device ID: "Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM"
(**) S3: Monitor ID: "Ken's CTX"
(--) S3: Mode "1024x768" needs hsync freq of 56.48 kHz. Deleted.
(--) S3: Mode "1280x1024" needs hsync freq of 51.02 kHz. Deleted.
(--) S3: Mode "1024x768" needs hsync freq of 62.50 kHz. Deleted.
(--) S3: Mode "1280x1024" needs hsync freq of 64.25 kHz. Deleted.
(--) S3: Mode "1280x1024" needs hsync freq of 78.86 kHz. Deleted.
(--) S3: Mode "1280x1024" needs hsync freq of 81.13 kHz. Deleted.
(**) FontPath set to
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr
/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100
dpi/"
(--) S3: card type: PCI
(--) S3: chipset:   968 rev. 31
(--) S3: chipset driver: mmio_928
(--) S3: videoram:  2048k
(--) S3: Detected a TI ViewPoint 3026 RAMDAC rev. 11
(--) S3: Ramdac type: ti3026
(--) S3: Ramdac speed: 135
(--) S3: Using hardware cursor from Ti3026 RAMDAC
(--) S3: Using TI 3026 programmable clock (MCLK 66.818 MHz)
(--) S3: Maximum allowed dot-clock: 135.000 MHz
(**) S3: Mode "1024x768": mode clock =  65.000
(**) S3: Mode "800x600": mode clock =  50.000
(**) S3: Mode "640x480": mode clock =  31.500
(--) S3: Operating RAMDAC in pixel multiplex mode
(--) S3: Using 8 bits per RGB value
(**) S3: Virtual resolution set to 1280x1024
(--) S3: Local bus LAW is 0xF3000000
(--) S3: Using a banksize of 2048k, line width of 1280
(--) S3: Using a single 64x64 area at (1216,1024) for expanding
pixmaps
(--) S3: Using 8 planes of 1216x614 at (0,1024) aligned 8 as font
cache
login: Error 23, errno 25: xterm: Error 23, errno 25: xterm: Error 23,
errno 25: Inapprop
riate ioctl for device
Inappropriate ioctl for device
Inappropriate ioctl for device

waiting for X server to shut down X connection to :0.0 broken
(explicit kill or server sh
utdown).
...

 
 
 

Problem Installing XFree86 on Intel based NetBSD 1.1

Post by Kenneth P. Turv » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00



>I am having a problem installing XFree86 under NetBSD 1.1.  I checked
>the FAQ and can't find anything.  It seems to be related to xterm and
>not X itself.  If I run X directly then everything seems to run O.K.
>(Unfortunately I can't start any other programs... I assume xterm is a
>requirement if X is to be useful)  I am new to X and relatively new to
>UNIX so I appologize if this problem has an obvious answer.  
>Below is the output from running the command
>startx >& startx.out
>------------------------
>pixmaps
>(--) S3: Using 8 planes of 1216x614 at (0,1024) aligned 8 as font
>cache
>login: Error 23, errno 25: xterm: Error 23, errno 25: xterm: Error 23,
>errno 25: Inapprop
>riate ioctl for device
>Inappropriate ioctl for device
>Inappropriate ioctl for device

>waiting for X server to shut down X connection to :0.0 broken
>(explicit kill or server sh
>utdown).
>...

Andreas Dilger answered this one for me when answering another post.
The solution was to put
Option "Diamond"
into the devices section of the XF86Config file.  

Thanks Andreas,

Ken Turvey