Changing BSD partition to boot with Boot Manager (OS/2)

Changing BSD partition to boot with Boot Manager (OS/2)

Post by (null » Wed, 05 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I've got a 1 SCSI hard drive and 2 IDE drives. When I got the SCSI drive 2
months ago I upgraded to NetBSD 1.0 and dedicated the SCSI drive to
it.  The IDE drives held MSDOG and WINDOZE. To boot netbsd I enter my
cmos and switch drive 1 from the IDE parameters to SCSI and the SCSI
drive maps right in as the boot device.

IHere's my problem. I just installed OS/2 Warp last night rearranging my
IDE partitions a little bit so I can have an unstacked DOS FAT as drive
C, two stacked FATS as D and E and an HPFS as F. This is across the two
IDEs and I boot OS/2 from the second drive's HPFS partition with the
Bootmanager.

It looks like it's possible to add my netbsd sd0a parition from disk 3 (the
SCSI drive) to the boot menu of OS/2's boot manager if the partition were
labeled bootable in OS/2's fdisk.  Hindsight is 20/20 and if I were installing
netbsd after OS/2 I would have created the netbsd boot partition with OS/2
fdisk but  this is not the case. CAN I CHANGE my netbsd root partition to
appear bootable by OS/2 bootmanager by twiddling a few bits in that
disk's partition table without hosing the root filesystem. And if so does
anyone know how to do this ?

Thanks a lot.

Rick Dante

Post by Rick Dan » Wed, 05 Jul 1995 04:00:00

[...]

1. Partition Software - Partition Magic, Bootit, Boot Manager or Ranish Partition Manager

spake unto us, saying:

By default, Solaris and Linux will not be able to see each other, and
the Windows flavors will not be able to see either one.  So your only
concern will be the visibility between NT and Win95.

If you install those two in primary partitions on the same drive, there
shouldn't be a problem with that either.

Bootit is a utility I know of but have not used.

The only "Boot Manager" I know about is the OS/2 Boot Manager (also the
same as the IBM Boot Manager included as part of Partition Magic 3.x),
and it's a nice basic boot menu, but I'm not sure it's available at all
as a separate product.  I've used it for years (since 1992 I think).

Partition Magic is a glorified (and relatively powerful) fdisk utility
which I've used for quite a while.  Very useful, IMhO.  Newer versions
have things I'm not familiar with (I'm still using the OS/2 version of
PM 2.03).

Ranish's Partition Manager looks like a REALLY slick utility, and it's
on my list to play with.  But I copped out and bought a copy of System
Commander here instead.  :-)

I think I would recommend that you add System Commander to your list
above, since it allows you to selectively change primary partition
visibility (in many cases) for each individual boot menu entry.

Really, though, you probably don't need it.  The only question I would
have is how to get NT's boot manager to get along with Solaris' boot
manager, and I suspect that can be done.

--

       OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris +
        WinNT4 + Win95 + PC/GEOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!

2. osid: call for collaborators on protocol design (initially)

3. Communicator: "netscape-v403 is not a.out or ELF"

4. Q: Can SCO OS5 be booted from the partition manager boot manager ?

5. Lost my access to my web server! FrontPage chown

6. Solaris Boot Manager, Want ot make WIN95 partition default boot partition

7. lex+yacc parser for HTTP

8. BSD OS Boot Manager

9. Booting LINUX from the OS/2 Boot manager

10. Multi-boot success with Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Linux, OS/2 boot manager

11. Booting LINUX with OS/2 Boot Manager

12. Booting Linux with the OS/2 Boot Manager