sgimips black screen on Indigo2 R4400/250

sgimips black screen on Indigo2 R4400/250

Post by Alban Hertro » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 03:34:57

I am failing to netboot netbsd on my Indigo2.
I have various machines netbooting from a central server, so I know
netbooting works OK (though the other machines boot OpenBSD).

NetBSD/sgimips starts loading the kernel, I can see a number of devices
being detected scroll by, but then it "hangs".
First the bottom third of the screen is filled with a black rectangle
(from the left corner of the screen to the right corner of SGI's console
window), then a little later the second third goes black this way, and
after a while the machine reboots.

I tried both NetBSD 1.6 and 1.6.1 kernels for INDY, ECOFF and ELF,
INSTALL or "normal", and the netbsd.ip22 boot file. I also tried
snapshots of June 15th. They all show this behaviour.

Does anybody know what can be done about this (assuming those kernels do
actually work)?

The hardware is:
    SGI Indigo2 IMPACT
    R4400/250MHz
    no harddrives or CD-ROM (no trays...)
    128MB memory
    Solid Impact graphics card (GIO)

There is one point where I differ from the installation guide. I don't
use DHCP, but bootparams instead. I don't think it could be causing this
problem, as the machine can find it's kernel just fine.

1. How to add 128MB memory to 250 (7011-250) workstation

Hi all!
I'm trying to add 128MB memory to my 250(7011-250) workstation.
There are 64MB memory already installed in slots A,B,C,D in bank 0.
After I install four 32MB SIMM's in slots E,F,G,H I can't  see the new
memory modules
in lscfg; I see only the old ones.
It seems like there are configuration jumpers to add bank1; or may be
there is any software setup procedure?

Horoshsky Gregory

2. CTC 30200A Gemini-10 or AT&T IPC-802 miltiport serial help needed

3. Can external Flat Screen LCD VGA Work w/RS6000 M.250?

4. Sendmail Slowness Problems - Help!

5. Default screen res on Enterprise 250 server

6. sed question

7. Console-Screen-Blanking: black chars on white screen

8. i386 Video Resolutions Changes

9. Disable screen-saver and low-power standby (monitor black screen)

10. Screensavers crash or black screen

11. wine and Warcraft 3 gives me a black screen

12. Trident 9440, XF86 3.1.2b = black screen

13. mandrake: black screen - now what?