NetBSD-1.1 (i386) and hard disk..

Post by ishwar ratta » Fri, 09 Aug 1996 04:00:00

It is a repeat of a previous post..

I have NetBSD-1.1 (i386) running on a Dell machine with 1.6Gb
eide disk. Before intstalling the system, three partitions were
made using pfdisk:
  1. DOS (100Mb)
  2. NetBSD (800Mb)
  3. NetBSD (700Mb)

since the system was/is installed in partiton 2, is there a way
to make file system on partition 3 and mount it under the file system
OR I have to have single partiton of 1500Mb?

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Ishwar Rattan

NetBSD-1.1 (i386) and hard disk..

Post by Christoph Rim » Sat, 10 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hello

> I have NetBSD-1.1 (i386) running on a Dell machine with 1.6Gb
> eide disk. Before intstalling the system, three partitions were
> made using pfdisk:
>   1. DOS (100Mb)
>   2. NetBSD (800Mb)
>   3. NetBSD (700Mb)

> since the system was/is installed in partiton 2, is there a way
> to make file system on partition 3 and mount it under the file system
> OR I have to have single partiton of 1500Mb?

There can be only ONE *BSD partition on any physical disk.
You have to create one large 1500MB partition of type 0xA5.

-cr
--

NetBSD-1.1 (i386) and hard disk..

Post by J Wuns » Tue, 13 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> There can be only ONE *BSD partition on any physical disk.
> You have to create one large 1500MB partition of type 0xA5.

While you are doubtlessly right for NetBSD, you wrote ``*BSD'' and are
wrong with this: FreeBSD can handle multiple slices with the 0xa5
signature, but it will boot only off the first one.

Of course, there's only limited sense in doing this.  The only
situation i can think of where this is to be _enforced_ is if your
disk requires bad144.  Then it's the only way to restrict the first
slice (where the root partition and thus the kernel is located) below
the BIOS-ficticous cylinder 1024.  Since bad144 places the bad sector
table at the end of the slice (i'm not sure whether NetBSD has changed
this), loading the kernel file could require accesses to the bad144
table, so it must be in the BIOS-visible area of the disk.

--
J"org Wunsch                                              Unix support engineer

1. NetBSD-1.0, DOS/Windows, hard disk, etc.

Hello,

I am currently running NetBSD-0.9 which shares my 340MB hard disk with
DOS/Windows ( 270MB for NetBSD and 50MB for DOS ).  I use OS-BS v1.34
to choose between which OS to boot at start-up.  Now I need more space for
DOS software and want to buy another disk (0.5GB), my plan is reinstall
NetBSD on the new disk, and cut two partition on the exisiting 340MB disk:
 C:140MB + D:200MB (with possible DOS 6.0 double space on D: drive which
is intended for installing software while C: drive holds my data & progs)

I heard people saying DOS boot block can not sit beyond 1024th cylinder
or something like that.  I wonder my plan will work if that is the case,
with OS-BS (or anything you recommend better?).

Also, I might take the chance to upgrade to NetBSD-1.0. I think it will
come with shared-library staff.  What else?  Which version of XFree86
(or its name has been changed?) does it work with?  Which anon-ftp site
can I get a copy of its full distribution?

I was reading kernel of NetBSD-0.9, just figured out how system call works.
What are major architectural change in v1.0?

Thanks in advance,

cheers
chuck

2. Setting kernel global variables

3. NetBSD-1.1 and hard-disk partitions..

4. Linux lib docs

5. help: NetBSD i386 can't see my 13 GB hard drive

6. swapfs questions

7. Symbolic Math Package for NetBSD-1.0-i386 or Linux

8. Ethernet card hardware net address

9. NetBSD-1.3.2/i386 installation hangs

10. NetBSD-1.0 i386 - Missing?

11. JAVA support for NetBSD-1.2 i386??

12. How to make NetBSD-1.2 i386 execute ELF binaries

13. Difficulties w/ enabling wscons multi-screen option on netbsd-1.5.2/i386