NetBSD-1.3.2/i386 installation hangs

Post by Ewan D. Mil » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I have been trying to install NetBSD-1.3.2 on my 486 off the
new installation CD.  I ran rawrite to copy "boot.fs" to the
floppy.  When I boot from the floppy, I get the usual startup
messages up until the point where it says:

root on md0a dumps on md0b
root file system type: ffs

and then it just hangs.  Is this a known problem?  I was able
to boot NetBSD-1.2 just fine, but I don't have the full
installation sets.

I tried two different floppy disks, in case one was bad.

Any suggestions?  Is the version of boot.fs on ftp.netbsd.org
the same as the one on the CD?

-Ewan

NetBSD-1.3.2/i386 installation hangs

Post by Manuel Bouy » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I have been trying to install NetBSD-1.3.2 on my 486 off the
> new installation CD.  I ran rawrite to copy "boot.fs" to the
> floppy.  When I boot from the floppy, I get the usual startup
> messages up until the point where it says:

> root on md0a dumps on md0b
> root file system type: ffs

> and then it just hangs.  Is this a known problem?  I was able
> to boot NetBSD-1.2 just fine, but I don't have the full
> installation sets.

How many RAM do you have ?
You could also try the boot-small.fs.
I think you should also be able to install the 1.3 sets with the 1.2 boot
floppy.

Quote:

> I tried two different floppy disks, in case one was bad.

> Any suggestions?  Is the version of boot.fs on ftp.netbsd.org
> the same as the one on the CD?

It should be the same. But you can try it anyhow.

Post by Ewan D. Mil » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

: How many RAM do you have ?
: You could also try the boot-small.fs.
: I think you should also be able to install the 1.3 sets with the 1.2 boot
: floppy.

I have 4MB of RAM.  Perhaps that is the problem.  But the installation
documents say that 4MB is enough...

I tried boot-small.fs, same problem.  I tried FTPing boot.fs from
ftp.netbsd.org, but that also had the problem.

Unfortunately, 1.2 does not support my ATAPI CD-ROM.

I tried removing the serial/parallel port card, to no avail.
At this point, I think either I don't have enough memory or the
PC itself has a hardware problem.  Thanks to all who responded.

Ewan

NetBSD-1.3.2/i386 installation hangs

Post by Manuel Bouy » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I have 4MB of RAM.  Perhaps that is the problem.  But the installation
> documents say that 4MB is enough...

It is enouth to run NetBSD, but to install it you may need more RAM, as
it can't swap at this point. I think you should be able to see
the first screen of the install program however.
Does it work if you do 'boot netbsd.gz -s' ? This should give you a shell
prompt. If it does then you can partition your HD using NetBSD 1.2.
Once you've done that, you can boot the 1.3 floppy with '-s' and
mount by hand the CD and the HD and extract the binary sets. If swapctl
is on the install floppy you can do a 'swapctl -c -p 0 /dev/wd0b' (assuming
your HD is an IDE one). Then you can extract the binary sets.

Once this is done, you need to install the new boot blocks:
it's in /usr/mdec on the HD: just type 'installboot biosboot.sym /dev/rwd0a'.
Then you can reboot and finish the installation by hand (i.e. config
the files in /etc ...).

NetBSD-1.3.2/i386 installation hangs

Post by Ewan D. Mil » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Just to follow up, the problem appears to be related to only having
4MB of memory in the machine.  Frank van der Linden kindly made me
a smaller install floppy and I was able to successfully boot.

Thanks, Frank.

-Ewan

1. LD_LIBRARY_PATH and XFree86 3.2 on NetBSD/i386

I'm trying to get XFree86 3.2 up on virgin NetBSD/i386 system.  It
apears that the LD_LIBRARY_PATH must be set or ldconfig must include
the X-libs for the apps to function correctly.

In the SunOS way of handling this, one could link an absolute path
into the executable and have the run-time linker look for the
libraries with those absolute names.  This allowed one to have a bit
of overlap when, for example, upgrading the X11 tree.  The old
executables would still use the old lib path and the new executables
could use the new lib path.

Is there a similar way to do this under NetBSD?

-wolfgang
--

          Sick of email spam?  <http://www.vix.com/spam/>

2. KDE PS/PDF Viewer problem

3. SCSI for Debian2.0,Slackware3.6,FreeBSD3.0,NetBSD-1.3.2

4. .login hangs csh

5. Creative Soundblaster 16 PnP & NetBSD-1.3.2

6. Top 10 subjects comp.unix.questions

7. SCSI for Debian2.0,Slackware3.6,FreeBSD3.0,NetBSD-1.3.2

8. hylafaxclient für VMS

9. Netbooting NetBSD-1.3.2 - Vax

10. Netscape for NetBSD-1.3.2?

11. FreeBSD 3.2 installation hangs up

12. NetBSD 1.4/i386 sysinst hangs : bad RAM?

13. Installation of i386 NetBsd 1.1