SUN3/50 Ethernet Problem

Post by Andreas Heitma » Mon, 06 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I have an old SUN3/50 with NetBSD 1.2 installed and I'm now trying to
set up a local network with a linux box. The machines are connected
with a standard ethernet cable (BNC). I'm using the BNC connector at
the SUN, not the AUI port. When trying to configure the interface le0
on the SUN, NetBSD says that the carrier is lost. I checked the
cabling and it seems ok (length is 30m, T-connectors with 50 ohm
terminators at both ends). Am I using the correct interface device?

Thanks in advance,
--
Andreas Heitmann                                     Phone: +49-561-804-4571
Universit"at Gesamthochschule Kassel                       Fax: +49-5624-709

Germany      http://www.physik.uni-kassel.de/physik/theorie/aheit/index.html

SUN3/50 Ethernet Problem

Post by Greg Huds » Mon, 06 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm using the BNC connector at the SUN, not the AUI port. When
> trying to configure the interface le0 on the SUN, NetBSD says that
> the carrier is lost.

I'm not all that familiar with Sun 3/50s, but I believe that le0 on
Suns typically refers to the AUI/UTP interface.

You can run "ifconfig -a" to get a list of all the interfaces
available.

SUN3/50 Ethernet Problem

Post by Doug Ott » Mon, 06 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> > I'm using the BNC connector at the SUN, not the AUI port. When
> > trying to configure the interface le0 on the SUN, NetBSD says that
> > the carrier is lost.

Slide out the motherboard and check the dip switches nearest the net
ports.  You have to use one or the other (aui/bnc)  slide all the
switches over to the side the port you want to use.

SUN3/50 Ethernet Problem

Post by Kevin P. Ne » Tue, 07 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>Hi,
>I have an old SUN3/50 with NetBSD 1.2 installed and I'm now trying to
>set up a local network with a linux box. The machines are connected
>with a standard ethernet cable (BNC). I'm using the BNC connector at
>the SUN, not the AUI port. When trying to configure the interface le0
>on the SUN, NetBSD says that the carrier is lost. I checked the
>cabling and it seems ok (length is 30m, T-connectors with 50 ohm
>terminators at both ends). Am I using the correct interface device?

Um, is the board jumpered to use the BNC port?

There is a jumper on the motherboard for this. Anybody remember off
the top of their head which jumper it is? It's not hard to guess.
I just don't remember the exact name.
--

XCOMM "Comments in code are kinda useless, anyway."
XCOMM   -- Brian Rumple, TA for my OS class, NCSU. November 6,1996

SUN3/50 Ethernet Problem

Post by Paul Civa » Tue, 07 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I have an old SUN3/50 with NetBSD 1.2 installed and I'm now trying to
> set up a local network with a linux box. The machines are connected
> with a standard ethernet cable (BNC). I'm using the BNC connector at
> the SUN, not the AUI port. When trying to configure the interface le0
> on the SUN, NetBSD says that the carrier is lost. I checked the

NetBSD should auto-detect what port you're using I think, but the last
time I configured NetBSD/sparc I had to use the 'link0' (or was it
'-link0?) option to ifconfig to force the right type.

-Paul-

--

SUN3/50 Ethernet Problem

Post by the Mad Mo » Tue, 07 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>> I'm using the BNC connector at the SUN, not the AUI port. When
>> trying to configure the interface le0 on the SUN, NetBSD says that
>> the carrier is lost.

>I'm not all that familiar with Sun 3/50s, but I believe that le0 on
>Suns typically refers to the AUI/UTP interface.

I'm running his exact configuration cabled to a Sun386i with an AUI
tranceiver.  I read le0 from the BNC cable and it runs just fine.
Sounds like the other person who suggested dip switches might be
right.  You can also test it somewhat with the boot PROM tests.
_A
Quote:

>You can run "ifconfig -a" to get a list of all the interfaces
>available.

SUN3/50 Ethernet Problem

Post by Andreas Heitma » Wed, 08 Jan 1997 04:00:00

    I> Hi, I have an old SUN3/50 with NetBSD 1.2 installed and I'm now
    I> trying to set up a local network with a linux box. The machines
    I> are connected with a standard ethernet cable (BNC). I'm using
    I> the BNC connector at the SUN, not the AUI port. When trying to
    I> configure the interface le0 on the SUN, NetBSD says that the
    I> carrier is lost. I checked the cabling and it seems ok (length
    I> is 30m, T-connectors with 50 ohm terminators at both ends). Am
    I> I using the correct interface device?

Thanks to all who answered the question. The solution is to switch the
eight DIP switches on the motherboard near the ethernet chipset from
OFF to ON. It works great now. BTW, this is also in the FAQ, I'm sorry
for wasting bandwidth.

Best Regards,
--

Post by Kevin P. Ne » Thu, 09 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>> I have an old SUN3/50 with NetBSD 1.2 installed and I'm now trying to
>> set up a local network with a linux box. The machines are connected
>> with a standard ethernet cable (BNC). I'm using the BNC connector at
>> the SUN, not the AUI port. When trying to configure the interface le0
>> on the SUN, NetBSD says that the carrier is lost. I checked the
>NetBSD should auto-detect what port you're using I think, but the last
>time I configured NetBSD/sparc I had to use the 'link0' (or was it
>'-link0?) option to ifconfig to force the right type.

This particular machine (3/50) is not capable of switching. It's
jumpered, period.
--

XCOMM "What is your fascination with Gunsmith Cats?" - me
XCOMM "They blow stuff up." - Ravi K. Swamy.   January 6, 1997

SUN3/50 Ethernet Problem

Post by the Mad Mo » Thu, 09 Jan 1997 04:00:00

just wait until the next poor bastard does a search on Deja News and
finds his answer before posting... then it will all be worth it! :)
_A

Post by Doug Ott » Fri, 10 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> This particular machine (3/50) is not capable of switching. It's
> jumpered, period.
> --

taint so

You're confusing this with a 3/60 which is jumpered, check the faq.  If
you've got one that is not switched, then you have a 3/50 chassis with a
3/60 board in it.

SUN3/50 Ethernet Problem

Post by Bruce Beck » Sat, 11 Jan 1997 04:00:00

|Hi,
|
|I have an old SUN3/50 with NetBSD 1.2 installed and I'm now trying to
|set up a local network with a linux box. The machines are connected
|with a standard ethernet cable (BNC). I'm using the BNC connector at
|the SUN, not the AUI port. When trying to configure the interface le0
|on the SUN, NetBSD says that the carrier is lost. I checked the
|cabling and it seems ok (length is 30m, T-connectors with 50 ohm
|terminators at both ends). Am I using the correct interface device?

        It might be that the internal DIP switches are set
        for the AUI port rather than the BNC connector.
        All 8 switches on S0618 should be in the ON position.

--
  ,u,    Bruce Becker           Toronto, Ontario        1 416 699 1868

 `\o\-e  "The wages of sin is depth"
 _< /_                                       - Lao Tse Tutu

SUN3/50 Ethernet Problem

Post by Robert Blacksh » Sat, 11 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>>> I'm using the BNC connector at the SUN, not the AUI port. When
>>> trying to configure the interface le0 on the SUN, NetBSD says that
>>> the carrier is lost.

>>I'm not all that familiar with Sun 3/50s, but I believe that le0 on
>>Suns typically refers to the AUI/UTP interface.
>I'm running his exact configuration cabled to a Sun386i with an AUI
>tranceiver.  I read le0 from the BNC cable and it runs just fine.
>Sounds like the other person who suggested dip switches might be
>right.  You can also test it somewhat with the boot PROM tests.
>_A

>>You can run "ifconfig -a" to get a list of all the interfaces
>>available.

Can't answer for the 3/50 but my 3/60 has a jumper on the motherboard
that sets AUI or ThinNet

Bob

"Since when was genius found respectable?"
                         E. B. Browning

SUN3/50 Ethernet Problem

Post by Robert Blacksh » Sat, 11 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>------------27FB38A3F8C2

>> This particular machine (3/50) is not capable of switching. It's
>> jumpered, period.
>> --

>taint so
>You're confusing this with a 3/60 which is jumpered, check the faq.  If
>you've got one that is not switched, then you have a 3/50 chassis with a
>3/60 board in it.

Or check the RAM. The 3/60 has SIMMs the 3/50 has soldered in DIPs.

Bob

>------------27FB38A3F8C2
><HTML><BODY>

>&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
>&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
>&gt; This particular machine (3/50) is not capable of switching. It's<BR>
>&gt; jumpered, period.<BR>
>&gt; --<BR>
>&gt;</DT>
><DT>taint so</DT>
><DT>&nbsp;</DT>
><DT>You're confusing this with a 3/60 which is jumpered, check the faq.&nbsp;
>If you've got one that is not switched, then you have a 3/50 chassis with
>a 3/60 board in it.</DT>
><DT>&nbsp;</DT>
><DT>&nbsp;</DT>
></BODY>
></HTML>
>------------27FB38A3F8C2--

"Since when was genius found respectable?"
                         E. B. Browning

SUN3/50 Ethernet Problem

Post by Andreas Heitma » Tue, 14 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

    >> This particular machine (3/50) is not capable of
    >> switching. It's jumpered, period.  --

    Doug> taint so

    Doug> You're confusing this with a 3/60 which is jumpered, check
    Doug> the faq.  If you've got one that is not switched, then you
    Doug> have a 3/50 chassis with a 3/60 board in it.

to clarify this point again... My board is definately a 3/50 board
(message from the boot PROM) and it is JUMPERED. There is no way to
switch by software in my board. If you are still in doubt, read the
FAQ (http://doener.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/FAQ/sun.hardware.FAQ):

S0618 (by AUI Ethernet connector, switch 1 toward rear)
 1-8    ON for thin Ethernet (BNC connector), OFF for AUI

Greetings,--
Andreas Heitmann                                     Phone: +49-561-804-4571
Universit"at Gesamthochschule Kassel                       Fax: +49-5624-709
Arbeitsgruppe Theoretische Physik

Germany      http://www.physik.uni-kassel.de/physik/theorie/aheit/index.html

1. How to boot sun3/50

Hi,

I have compiled a netbsd kernel(1.3) for the sun3/50 architecture in order to
boot in diskless mode.
But when the sun try to mount the partitions i have got a message like
this:
        nfs boot timeout.
The server is a linux box with the nfs support enable.
Someone have already got this problem and can tell me how i can solve it?
Perhaps i should try another kernel??(which one then?).

Thanks.
--

                The Only Stupid Question Is The Unasked One

2. Best Redhat Book?

3. Booting a Sun3/50 with root on NFS.

4. send function blocks on large buffer sizes

5. How do I set default boot device on Sun3/50

6. changing kernal parameters.

7. UPS for Sun3/50 at home

8. Update RH using 7.1 disks

9. query: example sun3/50 scsi drivers

10. Install NetBSD on Sun3/50 - a good idea?

11. Sun3/50 & NetBSD X11R6

12. sun3/50 as xterminal

13. sun3/50 as x-terminal