Am I missing some news or did NetBSD 1.1 not get announced?

Post by Frank van der Lind » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I saw nothing on comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.announce, so either this is the
>lowest-key announcement in history or I'd better check my newsfeed.
>Anyone else see the Monday announcement I've seen alluded to elsewhere?

Must be your newsfeed.. here it is:

Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.announce
Subject: Announcing the release of NetBSD 1.1.
Date: 27 Nov 1995 17:37:06 -0800

I am pleased to announce that the culmination of a over a year of
active development and two months of release engineering has come
together to form the eagerly awaited NetBSD 1.1 Release.

NetBSD 1.1 contains many improvements over the previous release,
including 64 bit clean code thanks to a port to the DEC Alpha; a
disk driver that can concatenate or interleave multiple disks for
high performance disk arrays; a binary emulation facility so that
executables for many commercial (and other free) operating systems
can run on NetBSD; a new generic audio subsystem; and hundreds of
bug fixes and enhancements.

NetBSD 1.1 is available for download via ftp from ftp.netbsd.org in
the directory pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.1.  The release will be available
from NetBSD ftp mirrors soon.

Many thanks go to the NetBSD developers for making this release
possible.

Even more thanks go to the many NetBSD users who have supported
NetBSD with their enthusiasm, evangelism, and contributions.

        --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin
The NetBSD Foundation

               Use NetBSD, it's Unix, it's free and works on:
    i386+, Mac, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4c, PC532, DEC Alpha, DEC MIPS, Atari
              Work in progress: Vax, Sun4m and a host of others

Post by Andrew Whead » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I saw nothing on comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.announce, so either this is the
>lowest-key announcement in history or I'd better check my newsfeed.
>Anyone else see the Monday announcement I've seen alluded to elsewhere?

1.1 was announced in the mailing-lists, I don't know whether it was
also announced in the news.

It's probably on every netbsd-mirror by now.
Cheerio
--
The cost of living hasn't affected it's popularity. (unknown)
current release=doc host=wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de \ "NetBSD-current mirror"

Post by Jordan K. Hubba » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I saw nothing on comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.announce, so either this is the
lowest-key announcement in history or I'd better check my newsfeed.
Anyone else see the Monday announcement I've seen alluded to elsewhere?

Thanks!

                                                Jordan
--
                                                Jordan

Post by John Neme » Mon, 04 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>I saw nothing on comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.announce, so either this is the
>>lowest-key announcement in history or I'd better check my newsfeed.
>>Anyone else see the Monday announcement I've seen alluded to elsewhere?

     I saw it, so I guess you better your newsfeed.  :-)  The

--

System Administrator
CUEBC, TC, VIFA, access                                   Opinions are my own.

1. Am I missing something or does Netscape's NEWS reader suck?

Hi.

I'm trying to run Netscape 1.1N for linux, and have been trying to
like it's news reader.  I'm finding many things impossible to do
that are simple for other news readers, and other things that are
really disturbing, like Netscape reporting

File Not Found!   Could it be out of date?

for a ridiculous number of articles.  My other news reader
(SPRY News on NT) can open and read the VERY SAME articles
Netscape croaked on without any problems whatever.  Has anyone
else encountered this phenomenon?

Also, say I would like to see a list of all newsgroups that contain
the word *linux*.  What I want to see is a list like the following:

aus.computers.linux
comp.os.linux
linux.act.680x0
sfnet.atk.linux
... etc.

How could you do this in Netscape without manually clicking
and expanding every usegroup tree and eyeing it
manually?  Am I missing something?

I would like to be able to use Netscape in Linux for news,
without having to reboot NT and run Spry News.
But Netscape keeps hitting me over the head with
what appears to me to be a mallet of poor design.

Like ... say I want to find all articles in comp.os.linux.misc
that pertain to *SCSI cdrom drives*.  Since Netscape
organizes it's news display PRIMARILY around dates (that
earlier and later stuff), so as to facilitate speedy delivery
of SOMETHING, you cannot easily search the entire
active newsgroup without, AGAIN, manually clicking

earliest articles ... search here for some
later articles ... now let's search here for some more
later articles ... now let's search here for some more
later articles ... now let's search here for some more
later articles ... now let's search here for some more
latest articles ... now let's finally search in this group.

I've tried to set my maximum articles at a time to
5000, but I still get an earlier option, and this is how
I became acquainted with the fact the Netscape can't
seem to find and load articles that other readers can
find and load without working up a sweat.

Frankly, I find its news reader pitiful.  What do you
think?  Am I missing something here?  I hope so.

PS.  I've RTFM and I'm still unimpressed.

Thanks for any comments, corrections, animadversions, etc.

Yours, alas, from Spry News in NT,
Mark

2. Apache VirtualHost _default_:* ; What does it do?

3. i am getting the error: gmon.out file is missing call-graph data..

4. How to dial out in Linux ? Pls HELP!!

5. APPLIX: wordcount.am 1.1 - Word count macro for Words

6. Mail Proxy For Windows Clients

7. What DoS am I getting from nessus?

8. /cgi-bin/printenv

9. GCC 2.7.2 on NetBSD 1.1

10. ANNOUNCE - Aview 1.1 - an ascii art image browser (less broken version)

11. Problem booting NetBSD 1.1 on A3000/040

12. Next Version of NetBSD (1.1)

13. NetBSD 1.1 i386 bad144 confusion