Help: NetBSD 1.1 finding NCR 53c810 twice!

Help: NetBSD 1.1 finding NCR 53c810 twice!

Post by Rick Nile » Mon, 12 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to install NetBSD 1.1 on my 486, but it seems
to have problems detecting my NCR 53c810.  It finds ncr0
and my three devices attached and then it finds ncr1 and
the same three devices.  Then it proceeds to keep trying
both and some how the card or the kernel is alternating between
the two.  I get a message saying ncr0 is not responding,
then ncr1 is not responding, then ncr0 is not responding...
and it goes on and on switching every 3 seconds or so.
I'm trying to install via SCSI CD-ROM and 3 seconds isn't
long enough to copy the kernel.

Anyway is there another boot disk I can try?  Or maybe some
BIOS chipset setting?  Could my SCSI termination be wrong?
It works great under Linux and DOS.

Please help....Thanks,

--
Rick Niles.

Help: NetBSD 1.1 finding NCR 53c810 twice!

Post by Curt Samps » Mon, 12 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm trying to install NetBSD 1.1 on my 486, but it seems
>to have problems detecting my NCR 53c810.  It finds ncr0
>and my three devices attached and then it finds ncr1 and
>the same three devices.

This is not a problem with the NCR chip or driver, but with the
PCI code. I have the same problem with 1.1 on my PVI-486SP3.
(Ironically enough, I switched from FreeBSD to NetBSD because
FreeBSD used to have this problem but NetBSD 1.0 didn't.) What
seems to be happening is that the driver probes devices 16-31
on the PCI bus and these, on this particular motherboard, are
`reflections' of 0-15.

a while back about this but got no answer. Any PCI hackers out
there care to enlighten me about what's going on?

cjs
--

Internet Portal Services, Inc.
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400          De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.

Post by Ignatios Souvatz » Wed, 14 Feb 1996 04:00:00

   >I'm trying to install NetBSD 1.1 on my 486, but it seems
   >to have problems detecting my NCR 53c810.  It finds ncr0
   >and my three devices attached and then it finds ncr1 and
   >the same three devices.

   This is not a problem with the NCR chip or driver, but with the
   PCI code. I have the same problem with 1.1 on my PVI-486SP3.
   (Ironically enough, I switched from FreeBSD to NetBSD because
   FreeBSD used to have this problem but NetBSD 1.0 didn't.) What
   seems to be happening is that the driver probes devices 16-31
   on the PCI bus and these, on this particular motherboard, are
   `reflections' of 0-15.

Hm. If this is really true, this is a bug in the motherboard, not in
the PCI code. ;-)

But it rings a bell... while browsing through the PCI code I noticed
that the IBM-PC PCI interfaces (and only IBM-PC ones) have two styles
generating configuration cycles. In your particular case, the (more
generic, more modern one) happens to get recognized falsely, I guess.

Please try to define

options PCI_CONF_MODE=2

in your kernel configuration file,
config YOURKERNELFILE
cd ../compile/YOURKERNELFILE
rm pci_machdep.o
make

This will hardwire your kernel to mode 2. (If I am _very_ wrong
guessing, you'll have to use options PCI_CONF_MODE=1. :-)

   a while back about this but got no answer. Any PCI hackers out
   there care to enlighten me about what's going on?

No PCI hacker, just read the source. ;-)

Regards,
        Ignatios
--
I think computer viruses should count as life ... I think it says something
about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is

1. NCR PCI 53c810 how do I build it in for 1.1.xx ?

You need 1.1.38 as a minimum if you don't want to muck about with applying
patches. I am currently using 1.1.45 without problems (almost).
--
       .   +----------------------------------------------+

  \_.-\__/ | "Mmmmmmmm beer..." - Homer Simpson           |
        v  +----------------------------------------------+

2. AIX TCF Partitioning Problem

3. Mounting an msdos fs running Ontrack Dynamic Disk Overlay

4. HELP: compiling xarchie under netbsd 1.1

5. SuSE 8.0 very slow download with cable modem

6. HELP NetBSD 1.1 first installed

7. Firewire support for FreeBSD ?

8. netbsd 1.1 i386 install help needed

9. help:sound under 1.1 + how much memory does NetBSD really use?

10. help needed: serial port overflows under NetBSD 1.1

11. Help needed with NetBSD 1.1/Amiga: Cannot configure second swap partition

12. Need help with NCR 53c810 and Connor 1060