named problem on netbsd 386?

Post by Dave Ra » Thu, 18 May 1995 04:00:00

I'm having a strange problem with named on netbsd.

Running as a secondary, it properly copies the zone information from the
master, and creates a file in /etc/namedb as you would expect.

But the zone information does not appear to ever be refreshed!  Changing the
serial number on the master, and using kill -HUP allows the new information
to be seen with nslookup, but only when setting the nameserver to the master.

kill -HUP to the secondary named has no effect.  Stopping and restarting
named has no effect.  One must delete the zone copy in the /etc/namedb
directory in order for things to work again!

Any ideas?  I did pick up and compile the -current version last night.
Before I hack, has anyone else seen this?  Am I just an idiot?

The zone in question is bungi.com, for those that want to probe...

--
Dave Rand

named problem on netbsd 386?

Post by Ken Hornste » Tue, 23 May 1995 04:00:00

>I'm having a strange problem with named on netbsd.

>Running as a secondary, it properly copies the zone information from the
>master, and creates a file in /etc/namedb as you would expect.

>But the zone information does not appear to ever be refreshed!  Changing the
>serial number on the master, and using kill -HUP allows the new information
>to be seen with nslookup, but only when setting the nameserver to the master.

>kill -HUP to the secondary named has no effect.  Stopping and restarting
>named has no effect.  One must delete the zone copy in the /etc/namedb
>directory in order for things to work again!

>Any ideas?  I did pick up and compile the -current version last night.
>Before I hack, has anyone else seen this?  Am I just an idiot?

This has worked fine under 1.0 for me for a long time.  I am assuming that you
are _incrementing_ the serial number, right?

--Ken

named problem on netbsd 386?

Post by Amos Shapi » Mon, 29 May 1995 04:00:00

 >But the zone information does not appear to ever be refreshed!  Changing the

What does your SOA RR say about refresh time?

Cheers,

--Amos
--
--Amos Shapira                      | "Of course Australia was marked for
133 Shlomo Ben-Yosef st.            |  glory, for its people had been chosen