FAT16 and NetBSD co-existing on on large disk?

FAT16 and NetBSD co-existing on on large disk?

Post by Aaron M Bro » Sat, 30 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I'm having a problem making two different partitions co-exist on
one disk... I figure that others have had this problem too...

I have a WD 1.2 gig disk (IDE) and it is installed as 2484 cyl,
16 Heads, 63 Sec Per track... ( according to the BIOS ).

I have two partitons one thats about 700 mb and one thats
about 500 mb...  The 500 mb partition is a fat16...

When I run pfdisk to try to label the disk, the disk
geometry that pfdisk returns is:
 620 cyl, 64 Heads, 63 Sec Per Track...

I'm assuming that the BIOS is doing some kind of disk translation
to make the full 1.2 gigs of disk avaliable... But NetBSD (and
all other unixes (?) don't deal with the disk translation...
and upon installing NetBSD 1.1, I get a 700 mb fat partition that
du and df shows about ~200 mb's

Could someone explain what is really happening here?

 Bye Bye,
     --Aaron...

FAT16 and NetBSD co-existing on on large disk?

Post by To » Wed, 10 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a WD 1.2 gig disk (IDE) and it is installed as 2484 cyl,
>16 Heads, 63 Sec Per track... ( according to the BIOS ).
>I have two partitons one thats about 700 mb and one thats
>about 500 mb...  The 500 mb partition is a fat16...
>But NetBSD (and
>all other unixes (?) don't deal with the disk translation...
>and upon installing NetBSD 1.1, I get a 700 mb fat partition that
>du and df shows about ~200 mb's

I'm not too sure about NetBSD, as I'm only now fetching a copy now for my
evaluations, but the Linux house uses a kernel loader (Linux Loader, or LILO
for short) than can accept boot time params, such as disk geometry.  Many
users with drives > 528MB (the std BIOS limit), with and without BIOS sets
capable of properly handling the large drive, have used this approach,
including it as part of the boot time defaults (so as not to require manual
entry), with acceptable results.

Hope this helps.

1. mishaps with co-existing OSs (Linux and Dos Partitions)

well my friends, i recently have had the worst experience in my
conmputing life (YET!!).
this is how it went:
my mind was tormented cause of this statistics test i had to take that
night. but i didnt study!! (i spend all that time trying to connect my
linux box to the net). i was just about to print the "Mail-HOWTO" on my
old battered Epson lx-810 (doont laugh, please! :o), when the image of me
failing the test miserably struck my mind. but, i continued issuing the
command, the this is that i accidentally typed:
        cat Mail-HOWTO > /dev/hd1
instead of:
        cat Mail-HOWTO > /dev/lp2 !!!!!!!!!!
any guesses on what happened?
well, 'cat' wrote to the DOS (Win95) partition, but i wrote over the
FAT!!!!!
all my DAMN information on that partition was lost!!!!~ FOREVER!!!!
i had to repartition-reformat.
i just started at the screen ...i wanted to bang my head against it, but
didnt :o)

let that be a lesson for all of yoiu out there:
either:
-study for yer tests with time
-dont have 2 OSses coexisting
-KILL WIN95
-or don use a computer at all!!

anyone with less patience than me would have probably committed suicied!!
:o) (j/k)

if anyone has any comments, similar mishaps or simply wants to insult me,
feel free to email me at:

Wilser Ramirez NG

2. solaris 2.6 and hp4500 N - printer -> driver-problem

3. Co-existing Linux & Win95

4. clueless newbie ..here

5. MFM and IDE co-existing under Linux?

6. GMU Gets Badly Hacked.

7. cron and tar not co-existing

8. Routing table

9. SCSI and IDE co-existing

10. x86 Solaris / NT co-existing

11. Co-existing with VFAT and NTFS

12. Linux and Win2K Server Co-existing

13. gcc-2.9.xx co-existing with gcc-2.7.2.3?