realplayer8

Post by G. Remli » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 04:08:56

Tried to run this with linux emulation.
Got: "Can't open audio device."

Traced it on a linux box and see that
it opens /dev/dsp and /dev/audio, and
that it is doing ioctl() on /dev/dsp.

It doesn't seem reasonable to expect
a linux program to emulate successfully
if that program mucks with devices. I
suspect that the NetBSD/Linux audio
drivers are different enough that the
ioctl interface is not the same, so
realplayer is probably opening the
files alright, but, problably due
to differences in the drivers, is
unable to setup the device via ioctl().

Tried the oss drivers from Point 4.
Watch out! Their install deletes your mixer
device and replaces it with a device
that doesn't support mixerctl! If
you run their uninstall script, it
will delete all your /dev files
related to audio! Workaround: just
move the oss directory somewhere, then
run /dev/MAKEDEV -- sheesh. Didn't
get any realplayer audio with those
drivers.

Suspect that to get realplayer to
work the linux emul. software could
intercept the ioctl()s for /dev/dsp
and "translate" them to/from NetBSD/linux
ioctl()s.

Regards,

George

By the way, this was on 1.6.1, i386 arch;
audioplay, and others work alright.
Didn't use the package syetem because I've
got Slackware, not SUSE, linux, and the
pkg system's Makefile looks at odds with
the compat_linux man. page, which describes
using /emul/linux, while the Makefile looks
to something else -- /emulation/linux (?).

Something else: trying to run linux's sox
yields something like: "don't know what an auiff is."

Any other (easier) ways of getting realplayer to run
would be good to hear about.

realplayer8

Post by Ronald M » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 16:29:18

Does your sound card supported by netbsd? Check in dmesg and see if
you need to re-compile the kernel to get it supported. Also check if
your /dev/dsp is rw to all users if you're not using root to run
realplayer.

As I know, the linux emulation is built from suse 7.x for netbsd, so
it might have some problem. For me, I'm using realplayer 8 under
freebsd without problem, it used redhat 6.x linux emulation and the
kernel detected my sis7018 sound card quite well.

Do you tried to download a sun .au file to test if the soundcard
really works in yr netbsd? Just use the command "cat test.au >
/dev/audio", if you can hear sound, I think realplayer can work too.

realplayer8

Post by Frederick Bruckm » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:01:36

Quote:> Tried to run this with linux emulation.
> Got: "Can't open audio device."

> Traced it on a linux box and see that
> it opens /dev/dsp and /dev/audio, and
> that it is doing ioctl() on /dev/dsp.

> It doesn't seem reasonable to expect
> a linux program to emulate successfully
> if that program mucks with devices. I
> suspect that the NetBSD/Linux audio
> drivers are different enough that the
> ioctl interface is not the same, so
> realplayer is probably opening the
> files alright, but, problably due
> to differences in the drivers, is
> unable to setup the device via ioctl().

No, realplayer doesn't have to mess with the actual device.
The NetBSD audio(4) device is an abstraction of the actual
devices, and the oss(4) layer is an abstraction built on
top of that. The linux emulation (in the kernel) uses nearly
the same code as the libossaudio library (for source-level
emulation).

The main thing is, make sure you're using NetBSD 1.6 or newer
(1.6.1 would be best), and the suse73 pacakges from pkgsrc.
NetBSD-1.5* plus suse64 did not do audio well. In fact, it did
pretty much as you describe. With my computer (k6-2, built-in
eso) it would actually work for a few seconds, but hang up in
a busy loop as soon as the network pipe ran dry.

Once you get realplayer working, try "trplayer". It's a command
line tool that utilizes the realplayer libraries. Pretty neat.

--
Frederick