Diskless booting of SUN 3/60...

Post by Bria » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi All:

Can anyone direct me to a HowTo or website that will help me
to set up my 3/60 to diskless boot and mount a NetBSD 1.4
NFS?

The HowTo link at the NetBSD website is dead.

I have a SUN-Xkernel that remote boots over the network from
a Linux server but I now want to run the SUN as a SUN.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Brian

Diskless booting of SUN 3/60...

Post by Manuel Bouy » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Hi All:

> Can anyone direct me to a HowTo or website that will help me
> to set up my 3/60 to diskless boot and mount a NetBSD 1.4
> NFS?

> The HowTo link at the NetBSD website is dead.

Looks like it is. Did you send a mail to the webmaster ?

Quote:

> I have a SUN-Xkernel that remote boots over the network from
> a Linux server but I now want to run the SUN as a SUN.

So almost all the pieces are already there. You sun knows how to
download a boot file from the server, you just need to change this boot
file, and basically unpack the NetBSD binary distribution (base.tgz, etc.tgz,
kern.tgz and other additionnal sets you need) somewhere it can be loaded by
NFS.
The diskless(8) manual page can be of some help for this, you can find it
at: ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/share/man/man8/diskless.8
To load the kernel, there are instructions in the INSTALL document.

Diskless booting of SUN 3/60...

Post by Bria » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi Manuel:

It appears the specific link I was referring to is now
missing.

Diskless NetBSD HOW-TO is missing vital information as
regards the SUN 3/60 specifics. It states the information is
coming soon - sigh...

I will keep looking unless you know of any other sources or
web sites.

Best regards,

Brian

>> Hi All:

>> Can anyone direct me to a HowTo or website that will help
me
>> to set up my 3/60 to diskless boot and mount a NetBSD 1.4
>> NFS?

>> The HowTo link at the NetBSD website is dead.

>Looks like it is. Did you send a mail to the webmaster ?

>> I have a SUN-Xkernel that remote boots over the network
from
>> a Linux server but I now want to run the SUN as a SUN.

Diskless booting of SUN 3/60...

Post by Manuel Bouy » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Hi Manuel:

> It appears the specific link I was referring to is now
> missing.

> Diskless NetBSD HOW-TO is missing vital information as
> regards the SUN 3/60 specifics. It states the information is

Not that much. All the sun3 specific parts are in the INSTALL document.
Other parts (especially tweaking /etc) is common to any NetBSD system,
diskless or not.

Diskless booting of SUN 3/60...

Post by Bria » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi Manuel:

Am going to give it a try.

Will keep you apprised.

Best regards,

Brian

>> Hi Manuel:

>> It appears the specific link I was referring to is now
>> missing.

>> Diskless NetBSD HOW-TO is missing vital information as
>> regards the SUN 3/60 specifics. It states the information
is

>Not that much. All the sun3 specific parts are in the
INSTALL document.
>Other parts (especially tweaking /etc) is common to any
NetBSD system,
>diskless or not.

>--
>Manuel Bouyer, LIP6, Universite Paris VI.

Quote:>--

Diskless booting of SUN 3/60...

Post by Shaw Terwillige » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> > Hi Manuel:

> > It appears the specific link I was referring to is now
> > missing.

> > Diskless NetBSD HOW-TO is missing vital information as
> > regards the SUN 3/60 specifics. It states the information is

> Not that much. All the sun3 specific parts are in the INSTALL document.
> Other parts (especially tweaking /etc) is common to any NetBSD system,
> diskless or not.

I have a Sun 4/110 I'm trying to get working with NetBSD 1.4
over NFS.  The NetBSD kernel boots and gets down to mounting
its root filesystem, which is NFS, and does so.  It then runs init
which immediately casues the kernel to die.

Anyone know why?  If I move init around (make it non-executable
or rm it) the kernel says "can't exec init", so I know it's mounting
and traversing the NFS filesystem.

--
Shaw Terwilliger

Diskless booting of SUN 3/60...

Post by Manuel Bouy » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> I have a Sun 4/110 I'm trying to get working with NetBSD 1.4
> over NFS.  The NetBSD kernel boots and gets down to mounting
> its root filesystem, which is NFS, and does so.  It then runs init
> which immediately casues the kernel to die.

> Anyone know why?  If I move init around (make it non-executable
> or rm it) the kernel says "can't exec init", so I know it's mounting
> and traversing the NFS filesystem.

No, no idea. works fine with sun4c's.
Did you report this to the port-sparc mailing list ?

Diskless booting of SUN 3/60...

Post by Shaw Terwillige » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> > Anyone know why?  If I move init around (make it non-executable
> > or rm it) the kernel says "can't exec init", so I know it's mounting
> > and traversing the NFS filesystem.

> No, no idea. works fine with sun4c's.
> Did you report this to the port-sparc mailing list ?

Nope, shall do it now though.  It's a really weird problem.
I was suspecting it had to do with the NFS server implementation.
I first had the NFS server on a Linux machine with the user-space
NFS server.  I moved the whole tree to a Solaris 7 machine.  Same
effect.  I moved it back and now I'm kinda stuck.

--
Shaw Terwilliger

Diskless booting of SUN 3/60...

Post by Bria » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi All:

I have now successfully run my SUN 3/60 as a diskless
workstation, NFS mounted off a Linux 2.0.37 server running
NetBSD 1.4.

(Brian does The Snoopy Dance of Joy!)

Am writing it up if anyone is interested.

Now, what can I run on my Sun 3/60 version of NetBSD 1.4?

Best regards,

Brian

>> > Anyone know why?  If I move init around (make it
non-executable
>> > or rm it) the kernel says "can't exec init", so I know
it's mounting
>> > and traversing the NFS filesystem.

>> No, no idea. works fine with sun4c's.
>> Did you report this to the port-sparc mailing list ?

>Nope, shall do it now though.  It's a really weird problem.
>I was suspecting it had to do with the NFS server
implementation.
>I first had the NFS server on a Linux machine with the
user-space
>NFS server.  I moved the whole tree to a Solaris 7 machine.
Same
>effect.  I moved it back and now I'm kinda stuck.

>--
>Shaw Terwilliger

Diskless booting of SUN 3/60...

Post by Ignatios Souvatz » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Now, what can I run on my Sun 3/60 version of NetBSD 1.4?

Good starting point is

http://www.netbsd.org/ and follow the "Software for NetBSD" link.
You'll find a description of the NetBSD packages system, for one.

Just keep in mind that a Sun 3/60 isn't faster than an unaccellerated
Amiga 3000 (in fact, even slower; the 3/80 uses the same CPU, I think);
so don't be surprised if fancy graphics and ... recently-designed WEB browsers
feel slower than expected. Especially since you'll swap over the network.

Running the X server , some xterms, within them a text-based mailreader
or lynx would be ok. The compiler just takes longer than on faster
machines, but works fine. (I did all the MC68060 integration work using

I suggest that you get some SCSI disk for your machine. Paging over the
net isn't likely to make you happy.

Regards,
        Ignatios

Diskless booting of SUN 3/60...

Post by Bria » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Thanks Ignatios:

Quote:>In article

>> Now, what can I run on my Sun 3/60 version of NetBSD 1.4?
>Good starting point is
>http://www.netbsd.org/ and follow the "Software for NetBSD"
link.
>You'll find a description of the NetBSD packages system,

for one.

Thanks for that. Gonna look right now.

Quote:>Just keep in mind that a Sun 3/60 isn't faster than an
unaccellerated
>Amiga 3000 (in fact, even slower; the 3/80 uses the same
CPU, I think);
>so don't be surprised if fancy graphics and ...

recently-designed WEB browsers
Quote:>feel slower than expected. Especially since you'll swap

over the network.

Wasn't looking for speed. This is education. I read about
and drooled over the SUN 3/60s when they were first
introduced. Hard to believe I picked one up recently in
perfect condition for under $60 including the 17" color
monitor.

Quote:>Running the X server , some xterms, within them a

text-based mailreader
Quote:>or lynx would be ok. The compiler just takes longer than on
faster
>machines, but works fine. (I did all the MC68060

integration work using

I initially had run the SUN as an Linux X-Terminal over my
network. It is running a cgfour video card. Have to learn
more about that.

Quote:>I suggest that you get some SCSI disk for your machine.
Paging over the
>net isn't likely to make you happy.

Got a nice 540meg SCSI HD and an Archive 150 SCSI tape drive
as well. Wanted to learn the principles of diskless WSs and
learn some NetBSD before moving forward. My biggest problem
is finding a SCSI cable that will run from the SUN 3/60 (D50
connector) to my off-the-shelf 4 X 1/2-height bay SCSI
tower.

Anybody successfully mounted an SCSI drive inside the SUN
3/60 case in the space provided? How do I connect SCSI
inside case?

Quote:>Regards,
> Ignatios

Thanks again for the lead and the advice Ignatios.

Gotta get bash, mc, lynx...

Best Regards,

Brian

1. NetBSD on Sun 3/50 diskless booting from 3/60 using SunOS 4.1.1

Hi,

I recently got some Sun's.

They are currently running sunos 4.1.1, currently there is only disks on
one machine, the other 3 boot over the network.

I have them booting fine under sunos, I want have a look at NetBSD, and
at the moment I can get no further than tftping and then running the
netboot program. (it requests its IP address and then just sits and waits)

I can find no doco's on setuping up a diskless client, only on booting via
the net to install NetBSD on the local hdd.

can anyone shed some light on whats wrong? etc

Thanks..

Andrew

2. miroOnline pnp

3. help setup Modem and Xterm (SUN 3/60 diskless WS)

4. makefile problem

5. Booting diskless 3/60 from Linux server...

6. dumb smb question

7. Linux Xkernel booting sun 3/60

8. Process address space layout in 32-bit Solaris ???

9. Booting Sun 3/60 on Linux - Need Bootparmd Binary!

10. booting a Sun 3/60 from Linux. Success!!!

11. Help me boot up this old Sun 3/60.

12. Booting Sun 3/60 from Linux - Need Bootparmd Binary!

13. sun ultra 60 can't boot ,help ?