installing packages with dependency's

Post by Neil Morri » Tue, 29 Jul 2003 00:12:25

Hi
I'm going to change my operating system to netBSD in the near future and
would like some input about the packages that can be installed under netBSD.
If for example I wanted to install the gnome package, which requires other
packages, is there an automated process to install dependent packages? if
not is there any tools that can build a batch/script file to install the
packages in the right order?

thanks

Neil Morris

--
my IE6 favorites (bookmarks URL's)
http://www.myjavaware.co.uk/bookmark.htm

Post by Jens Richte » Tue, 29 Jul 2003 01:40:59

> Hi
> I'm going to change my operating system to netBSD in the near future and
> would like some input about the packages that can be installed under netBSD.
> If for example I wanted to install the gnome package, which requires other
> packages, is there an automated process to install dependent packages?

Yes. First install the latest pkgsrc.tar.gz
(ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/)
# tar -xzvpf pkgsrc.tar.gz -C /usr
# cd /usr/pkgsrc/whereGnomeIs
# make install clean
--
Erste Meditationsbung: Nicht an Elefanten denken!
Kind regards,

installing packages with dependency's

Post by Andreas Wies » Tue, 29 Jul 2003 00:42:11

Quote:> I'm going to change my operating system to netBSD in the near future and
> would like some input about the packages that can be installed under netBSD.
> If for example I wanted to install the gnome package, which requires other
> packages, is there an automated process to install dependent packages? if
> not is there any tools that can build a batch/script file to install the
> packages in the right order?

You can either install pre compiled binaries with pkg_add or install
packages from the pkgsrc collection. The latter downloads the sources
and compiles the package. In both cases the dependencies are solved
automagically.

Quote:> --

    ^ There a space is missing.

Quote:> my IE6 favorites (bookmarks URL's)
> http://www.myjavaware.co.uk/bookmark.htm

Regards,

awiese
--
Fuettert eure Kinder mit Knoblauch, dann findet ihr sie im Dunkeln.

1. Dependencies listed by 'rpm -qR (package)'

Howdy,

When I run a list of dependencies for a package (installed) with 'rpm -qR
(packagename)' I often see multiple listings for GLIBC's libc.so.6, each
with a different version number.  When I see such multiples am I seeing "any
of these will do" or "you need at least the highest version listed"?

On the target system in question I have glibc-2.1.3-22_StackGuard_3 (yep,
Immunix for RedHat 6.2).  AbiWord 0.9.6-1-1, the installed version of
AbiWord on this system, insists it needs glibc v2.2 for libc.so.6 when I try
to run it.  'rpm -qR abiword' shows the following:

---begin just the libc.so.6 parts of the results---
libc.so.6{GLIBC_2.0)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2)
---end---

Background: I'm fixing what started as "Evolution email will not print".
Turns out perl couldn't set the locale 'coz it got a bad symbol when trying
to use libc.so.6, which was 2.2.4's.  Someone (predecessor) forced glibc
2.2.4 on the system to allow AbiWord and Gnumeric to run, but that busted
perl, which in turn busted Evolution's ability to print.  I've pulled 2.2.4
in order to keep the StackGuard 2.1.3 (for security reasons).  Now I'm down
to seeing if AbiWord Really Needs the newer libc.so.6 or if it's getting
that "requirement" elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for your time and attention!

Regards,
Scot Harkins

--
Scot Harkins (KA5KDU)
Greenbank, WA

http://www.bigfoot.com/~scoth

2. HP Scanjet 6200C

3. Howto build package with some dependencies installed under different format!

4. Problem with PPP script... please help!

5. Why can't package manager recognize that dependency is satisfied

6. Solarix x86 and Dell PowerEdge 2650 (with PERC 3/DI RAID)

7. Unresolved dependencies in KDE with installing rpm packages

8. X in freeBSD 4.6.2

9. Q: Installing Redhat6.2 will stop at 'Installing Packages'

10. help! dependency problem when installing package kmailcvt.

11. Install 'hangs' during installation of 'Local Packages'

12. RPM looks like in installs package but doesn't actually install

13. New kernel stops booting at ''finding module dependencies''