diskless installation on a sparc IPC

Post by nwood.. » Fri, 17 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I am trying to install NetBSD on a sparc IPC with 24 megs of RAM and a
completely useless (at least for the initial boot process) hard disk.
It boots from my FreeBSD machine until it wants to allocate swap.  It
dies there with:

mountd swap  Error=2

Is there any documentation anywhere other than on the NetBSD ftp site
that explains how I can fix this?

extreme thanks,
Nate  Woodhams

Post by Hubert Feyr » Fri, 17 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> I am trying to install NetBSD on a sparc IPC with 24 megs of RAM and a
> completely useless (at least for the initial boot process) hard disk.
> It boots from my FreeBSD machine until it wants to allocate swap.  It
> dies there with:

> mountd swap  Error=2

Where do you get this error, on the Sparc or on the FreeBSD machine?
Problem might be that your swapfile (file, not partiton!) isn't exported
propperly.

Or your rpc.bootparramd isn't configured right for some reason.

When debugging, tcpdump can come in handy.

Hubert
--

Post by J Wuns » Sat, 18 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Where do you get this error, on the Sparc or on the FreeBSD machine?
> Problem might be that your swapfile (file, not partiton!) isn't exported
> propperly.

Note that FreeBSD's mountd doesn't allow exporting files by default,
you need the following option:

     -r      The -r option allows mount RPCs requests for regular files to be
             served.  Although this seems to violate the mount protocol speci-
             fication, some diskless workstations do mount requests for their
             swapfiles and expect them to be regular files. Since a regular
             file cannot be specified in /etc/exports, the entire file system
             that the swapfiles reside in will have to be exported with the
             ``-alldirs'' flag.

Note that this option wasn't supported in previous versions of
FreeBSD.  It is in the 2.2 development branch, and was later merged
into FreeBSD 2.1.5.

--
J"org Wunsch                                              Unix support engineer

diskless installation on a sparc IPC

Post by Paul Civa » Mon, 20 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>> I am trying to install NetBSD on a sparc IPC with 24 megs of RAM and a
>> completely useless (at least for the initial boot process) hard disk.
>> It boots from my FreeBSD machine until it wants to allocate swap.  It
>> dies there with:

>> mountd swap  Error=2

> Where do you get this error, on the Sparc or on the FreeBSD machine?
> Problem might be that your swapfile (file, not partiton!) isn't exported
> propperly.

I seem to remember discussions before now (in this group) that you have to
export the swapfile with a special flag, because you're exporting a file
rather than a directory.

-Paul-

--

1. Sparc IPC and Installation

Hi !

im new and i got some Questions...

ok here we go ...

i m a proud owner of a sparc Workstation IPC with 24mb and 4/40 Cpu :-)

i got a problem .. i think i do not have a OS because the System tells me
all the Time that it could not conect to a domain :-((( and it does not
accept any command.. is there a way too reconfigure it ???? please help me
i m running out of ideas ... :-)

thanx in advance !!!

rene

2. Linux on AMD K6/Linux on Intel Cayman and Celeron CPU.

3. Diskless Sparc-ELC is s-l-o-w on Solaris-2.6?

4. A few questions to help out a newbie

5. NetBSD/sparc diskless problems (part2)

6. How much video memory?

7. diskless Sparc 1+

8. Is there a laptop page for fbsd?

9. sparc 1 diskless client on solaris 2.5.1

10. Howto for diskless SPARC ?

11. netbsd/sparc diskless problems

12. diskless SPARC <-> Linux server

13. Does anyone have experience with NFS, Redhat (Sparc) and Diskless root?