Help needed with NetBSD 1.1/Amiga: Cannot configure second swap partition

Help needed with NetBSD 1.1/Amiga: Cannot configure second swap partition

Post by Martin Ibe » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I have put a spare SCSI hard disk into my Amiga and want use some of
it as another swap area. (Hopefully) I have configured the drive with
the AmigaOS hard disk toolbox.

After some false starts, I can access the other two partitions on the
drive with newfs and mount, but how to enable the second swap area
still eludes me. I can see the parition as such, I can even newfs it
or dd zeros to it. But if I try to swapon it, I get a "device not
configured" error.

So I thought, maybe the problem is not with the partition at all;
maybe the kernel needs to be configured for another swap area. I then
edited my kernel config file, replacing the "netbsd swap on generic"
statement with "netbsd root on sd0 swap on sd0 and sd1". But no joy;
the kernel won't link. It is missing a function (was it autoconf in
module setconf or the other way around? I'm away from the machine
right now). I even put in two "config" lines; the one with the
"generic" clause gives me a kernel, while the other doesn't.

What I am I doing wrong?

Please answer quickly, or by mail; I will be on holiday from
Saturday, unable to read news.
Dipl.-Inform. Martin Ibert, BB-DATA GmbH, Brunnenstra?e 111, D-13355 Berlin

Quote:>> Disclaimer: My views do not necessarily reflect those of my employer. <<

Post by Kevin P. Ne » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Hi,

>But if I try to swapon it, I get a "device not
>configured" error.

>So I thought, maybe the problem is not with the partition at all;
>maybe the kernel needs to be configured for another swap area.

Yep.

Quote:> I then
>edited my kernel config file, replacing the "netbsd swap on generic"
>statement with "netbsd root on sd0 swap on sd0 and sd1". But no joy;
>the kernel won't link. It is missing a function (was it autoconf in
>module setconf or the other way around? I'm away from the machine
>right now). I even put in two "config" lines; the one with the
>"generic" clause gives me a kernel, while the other doesn't.

Ok, you have to take out "options GENERIC" if you aren't config'ing
on generic.

--

XCOMM Visit the House of RetroComputing at  /      Perm. Email: