kernel upgrade 1.3 --> 1.4: where has the disklabel gone?

kernel upgrade 1.3 --> 1.4: where has the disklabel gone?

Post by Benjamin Loren » Sat, 16 May 1998 04:00:00

Huhu,

I tried to upgrade to a -current 1.4 kernel, but without success:
when booting, it tells me: sd0: no disklabel and the root file system
cannot be mounted: error 79 (not sure about the number).

Whats up here? Do I have to relabel my disks in order to use newer kernels?
I'm running NetBSD on a Pentium 133 with Adaptec 1940 controller.

Thanks for input,
--

Post by Hubert Feyr » Sun, 17 May 1998 04:00:00

> I tried to upgrade to a -current 1.4 kernel, but without success:
> when booting, it tells me: sd0: no disklabel and the root file system
> cannot be mounted: error 79 (not sure about the number).

> Whats up here? Do I have to relabel my disks in order to use newer kernels?
> I'm running NetBSD on a Pentium 133 with Adaptec 1940 controller.

IIRC, the partition ID was changed from 165 (dec) to something else, and I'm
not sure if the code for backward compatibility is on by default. Try
searching the archives (current-users most probably) or the source for

 - Hubert

--

Post by Frank van der Lind » Tue, 19 May 1998 04:00:00

>I tried to upgrade to a -current 1.4 kernel, but without success:
>when booting, it tells me: sd0: no disklabel and the root file system
>cannot be mounted: error 79 (not sure about the number).
>Whats up here? Do I have to relabel my disks in order to use newer kernels?
>I'm running NetBSD on a Pentium 133 with Adaptec 1940 controller.

The partition ID for NetBSD partitions has changed. In order for -current
kernels to recognize old partions you must add the COMPAT_386BSD_MBRPART
option to your kernel config file.

- Frank