installing MacBSD on an IDE HD

Post by M.K » Mon, 23 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Just a question: Is the installation of MacBsd onto an IDE Hard Disk supported?

Post by Manuel Bouy » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Just a question: Is the installation of MacBsd onto an IDE Hard Disk supported?

No, "not yet". 1.4 should support IDE devices.

1. ANSWER Re: Problem installing: Adaptec + IDE HD + SCSI HD

: I have a friend who is trying to install linux on his system, and
: we've been unable to do this so far.

: He has an Adaptec 1542cf with 2 IDE hard drives and 1 SCSI hard drive
: (basically, it's an older system and as he's needed new hard disk space,
: he's added drives one small drive at a time).

: We're trying to install linux on the SCSI drive using bootlin to boot
: from an IDE drive and start up linux.  If we boot up with the BIOS
: enabled, the Adaptec BIOS complains about "no int13h device found" and
: doesn't go any further.

We were able to solve this ourselves after a couple more hours of playing.
Here's the solution in case anyone else has such a weird system.

1) The memory address on the Adaptec MUST be the factory default 330 (my
   friend had originally wanted to save 330 for another card he had).

2) Disable the Adaptec BIOS (one of the options in the advance options
   part of the BIOS setup).

3) I used bootlin to boot up in DOS and then switch to linux at boot time.
   I'm not sure whether this is the best option, but it's the one I know
   how to do :-).  To do this, made a Linux menu option in the config.sys
   which contains 3 lines.  The first two load the two Adaptec drivers
   ASPIDISK and ASPI4DOS (I'm doing this from memory, so check the Adaptec
   docs to see if those are the names for sure).  The final line loads the
   bootlin.com program to start up linux.

Hope this helps someone.  If you need more info, don't hesitate to write

--
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
S. Beck                  | If DOS came with several language compilers,

-------------------------+ to thirty pages of on-line documentation for
each program, library, and system call, it wouldn't fit on a floppy either.

2. WTB: Wangtek Tapedrive

3. Problem installing: Adaptec + IDE HD + SCSI HD

4. video card SiS6215. on Red Hat 6.0 as well as Caldera Open Linux 2.

5. How to install UW7 from IDE CD-ROM to IDE HD?

6. vi (elvis) crazy

7. Problems with an IDE HD and new SCSI HD

8. bare.i fails to find my HD, but finds my CDROM

9. Setting up 2 new SCSI HD in a system with an IDE HD

10. New/fast IDE HD with older HD

11. How to transfer root and boot from scsi hd to ide hd

12. Have IDE HD want to add SCSI HD

13. To boot with SCSI HD and Linux on IDE HD