Q: Newbie questions

Post by Berni Ern » Wed, 10 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi folks,
I am an NetBSD 1.0 newbie. I installed the OS from an CD called
"NIX highlights". After a little bit of trouble it was installed
on a 486 machine with an ASUS board, 16 MB of RAM, NCR810 scsi
controller and half a MEG IBM harddisk. So far so good. But there
are some point I have to ask you netters for:

1) the system is connected to a net of 5 unix machines via an
WD8013 card. networking is ok, but from time to time a kernel
message appears on the screen sayin :"/netbsd: arpresolve: cannot
allocate llinfo". I removed portmap, timed, routed etc from the
kernel, but this doesnt help. I built a new kernel -no success.
What is wrong with my system ?

2) because I am german I would like to have a german keymap. But there
is nothing like kbdcontrol, loadkey, keymap, ttymap or so which I can
load. Is different keymapping possible ?

3) How can I switch between virtual consoles ?

4) I have got the emacs 19.19 from a NetBSD package. emacs loading
needs MINUTES! Other editors (e.g. joe works fine).

5) Some progs like emacs, joe, sc have problems with the termcap
database. It is installed in /usr/share/misc and linked to /etc.
What is wrong ?

sorry for these couple of questions. But the only doc I have is the
NetBSD installation giude - no handbook, users manual or so.

thx & regards

berni

Berni Ernst     35305 Gruenberg,Huegelstr. 15D  |voice 06401/2 18 36

Q: Newbie questions

Post by Christoph Rim » Mon, 15 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hello

> 1) the system is connected to a net of 5 unix machines via an
> WD8013 card. networking is ok, but from time to time a kernel
> message appears on the screen sayin :"/netbsd: arpresolve: cannot
> allocate llinfo". I removed portmap, timed, routed etc from the
> kernel, but this doesnt help. I built a new kernel -no success.
> What is wrong with my system ?

Under NetBSD releases 1.0 and 1.1 I have a similar message
"arptnew failed..." appearing on the console every few minutes.
This message can safely be ignored. I chose to edit the /etc/syslog.conf
not to write these messages of minor severity to the console.

Quote:> 2) because I am german I would like to have a german keymap. But
> there is nothing like kbdcontrol, loadkey, keymap, ttymap or so which
> I can load. Is different keymapping possible ?

Two ways: (a) patch the file /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/isa/pccons.c
          (b) install pcvt, see /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/isa/pcvt/*

I chose option (a) to have a german styled keyboard. This affects the
console keyboard only, and the mapping of the keys is not exactly the
same as under MS-DOS: the ALT keys do not generate a fourth key state
besides normal, shifted and control'ed.
You have to find some work-around for this to access the backslash, or
the curly and square braces - I do it with the control key.
But for my needs it works ("minimal-invasive" approach).

Quote:> 3) How can I switch between virtual consoles ?

Once again, two ways: (a) install pcvt
                      (b) use the screen package (screen-3.5.2.tar.gz)
I did not like the amount of work to install the pcvt package, so I use
the screen utility, and I'm very pleased with it.

-cr

--

1. More Win95 --> Linux Newbie Qs

Thank you all for the responses!  I got PPP up and running today, now
all I have to do
is track down the Linux ver of Netscape.  Just one more question:  Does
anyone know how to get a "screen dump"?

I'm referring to something like Windows95 Alt-PrintScreen (which copies
the current window to the clipboard as a bitmap).

--
To think, that sigs were once a kludge...

2. sdtimage not displaying postscript

3. 3 newbie Qs on partitioning a hard disk

4. Checking SSH2 Security with X-Windows?

5. Newbie Qs: Kernel patching and ppp auto dialing for no (apparent) reason

6. Email Return Path

7. Newbie Qs & As

8. rsh, rlogin permission denied

9. Newbie Linuxer & misc. Qs (LONG!)

10. Newbie setup Qs for RH

11. Newbie Qs

12. newbie qs: netstat -an explanation with ports

13. Newbie Qs on ipchains