How to build NetBSD on a sparc?

Post by Dan A. Dicke » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hi, I've downloaded the NetBSD-Current source; and would like to
build it to run on a Sparc IPX I have.  There doesn't seem to be
much documentation around that I can find that tells me how to do
this.  I looked through the FAQ's that I could find too.

I'm not new to building stuff off of the net.  Can someone give
me a few pointers as to how to get started with NetBSD?
Thanks.         -Dan

--
Dan A.*ey

How to build NetBSD on a sparc?

Post by Jason R. Thor » Sun, 16 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi, I've downloaded the NetBSD-Current source; and would like to
>build it to run on a Sparc IPX I have.  There doesn't seem to be
>much documentation around that I can find that tells me how to do
>this.  I looked through the FAQ's that I could find too.

Probably the easiest way to do this is to install NetBSD 1.2 on your
system, and then compile the sources... You may want to subscribe to

Quote:>I'm not new to building stuff off of the net.  Can someone give
>me a few pointers as to how to get started with NetBSD?
>Thanks.             -Dan

Basically, you go to the top of the source tree (typically /usr/src), and
type "make build" ... you have to be root to do this, as it needs to install
libraries and include files...

Anyhow, subscribe to port-sparc, there's loads of folks there who can
help w/ sparc stuff..

Ciao.

How to build NetBSD on a sparc?

Post by Clarence Wilkers » Sun, 16 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Jason, won't he have to build a new "make" and install
the new ......share/mk " stuff before a
"make build" from 1.2 will work?

I think I got stuck at this point in January when I tried
this.

Clarence Wilkerson

Post by Curt Samps » Sun, 16 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Jason, won't he have to build a new "make" and install
>the new ......share/mk " stuff before a
>"make build" from 1.2 will work?

Yes, at this point. The procedure is basically:

1. Compile and install a new kernel. It's generally best to do this
before you install new utilities.

2. cd /usr/src/share/mk; make install

3. cd /usr/src/usr.bin/make; make depend && make && make install

4. cd /usr/src; make build

Since you're compiling a current tree rather than a release tree,
there may be little gotchas here and there, depending on the exact

I build regularly on an IPX (it takes about 12 hours), so if anyone
wants to e-mail me with questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

cjs
--

Internet Portal Services, Inc.     Through infinite myst, software reverberates
Vancouver, BC  (604) 257-9400      In code possess'd of invisible folly.