NetBSD DOSEMU -- questions from a prospective NetBSD user

Post by Jason Dow » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

        Scott Reynolds writes:

>>        "Aron T. Roberts" writes:
>> >Could you possibly go into more detail about these 20 security holes??

>> >I am thinking of using NetBSD in a production environment and this is an
>> >important issue.

>> Hmm, OpenBSD doesn't seem any less stable or less suited to a production
>> environment then NetBSD is.

>The answer to the question is not "run OpenBSD" instead.  That's a
>very childish attitude, especially since OpenBSD wouldn't exist were it
>not for the hard work of a _lot_ of NetBSD contributors.

What, are you on *?  OpenBSD _clearly_ states that it is based on
NetBSD.  There is no lack of credit to the NetBSD developers in the
commit messages, web pages, etc.  (Which isn't always conversely true of
NetBSD.)  I should also point out that parts of OpenBSD are as much due to
FreeBSD or Lites as they are to NetBSD, and, of course, there's a lot of new
code.

That's like someone pointing out that NetBSD wouldn't exist without the CSRG,
and calling NetBSD childish for having based their system on one from CSRG.

The originial 'question' was how to run a 'more secure' system, to which the
answer is 'run OpenBSD instead'.  OpenBSD takes security far, far more
seriously then just about any other OS in existance; that's not random
advertising either, it's a very serious statement of fact.

--
Jason Downs                (503) 256-8535 -/- (503) 952-3749

                             http://www.*y.org/
             OpenBSD: The BSD with a soul.  http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. beta dosemu 0.60.0 port for NetBSD-current/i386

If you're willing to patch kernel sources, and willing to deal with
an occasional unstable console video/machine lockup, feel free to try
out the stuff in

        ftp://sipb.mit.edu/pub/netbsd/dosemu/

There's a README file with skimpy instructions on compiling and running
dosemu 0.60.0 (ported from Linux) on your NetBSD-current/i386 box.

--

working for but not representing:       Atria Software
sometimes hacking on:                   NetBSD/i386

2. buffermem_pages removal (4/5)

3. Porting linux dosemu to NetBSD-current/i386

4. Different dist.'s [Q]

5. "Touch" - prospective user question

6. Removing Linux from HD.. Help needed

7. Questions about Linux from a prospective user.

8. TCPd vs xinetd

9. boot failure of NetBSD/mac68k in muti-user mode???

10. NetBSD 1.6.1: user password

11. No User Management Commands In NetBSD !?!?

12. Can't add user in NetBSD/mac68k

13. NetBSD/VAX users in Germany ?