HELP: compiling xarchie under netbsd 1.1

HELP: compiling xarchie under netbsd 1.1

Post by Boris A. Friedm » Tue, 14 May 1996 04:00:00

When I try to compile xarchie.2.0.10 under NetBSD 1.1 using gcc 2.4.5
I'm getting the following error message (on the loading stage I mean):

RegExp.o: Undefined symbol `_compile' referenced from text segment
RegExp.o: Undefined symbol `_advance' referenced from text segment

Obviously this .o file comes from one of the standard libraries that
are appended to the list of obj files for the loader by
Makefile. There is a bunch of them though, and I don't know which one
uses RegExp.o, the less so where those symbols are defined.

The "Problems" file suggests a solution of a similar problem under
Solaris 2.2 by loading this stuff with smth. like libgen.a which is
the library of regular expressions under Solaris. I don't have
anything remotely similar to this library. I grepped on anything I
could assume related to these symbols, and couldn't find any suitable
library. Does there exist a library of regular expressions under
NetBSD? The way my advisor usually suggests to solve problems like
that, is to write two void functions compile() and advance(), load and
wait until the program complains and gives some hints what's wrong:-)
I'll probably do that, but I hoped someone can help me to do this right.

I thought, before I bug the author, I'd try to get some information
from NetBSD experts or someone who had this problem before. Any help
in this area will be appreciated. I really want to have xarchie,
because I ftp a lot, and I like that interface to archie.

Boris.

HELP: compiling xarchie under netbsd 1.1

Post by J Wuns » Wed, 15 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> When I try to compile xarchie.2.0.10 under NetBSD 1.1 using gcc 2.4.5
> I'm getting the following error message (on the loading stage I mean):

> RegExp.o: Undefined symbol `_compile' referenced from text segment
> RegExp.o: Undefined symbol `_advance' referenced from text segment

Use re_comp() and re_exec().  But i think they are not API compliant.

--
J"org Wunsch                                              Unix support engineer

Post by Andrew Whead » Thu, 16 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>When I try to compile xarchie.2.0.10 under NetBSD 1.1 using gcc 2.4.5
>I'm getting the following error message (on the loading stage I mean):

>RegExp.o: Undefined symbol `_compile' referenced from text segment
>RegExp.o: Undefined symbol `_advance' referenced from text segment

Define '-DNOREGEX' (or some such, see RegExp.c for correct name)
and recompile -lDir and -lFwf or some such ;-)

Cheerio

--
The cost of living hasn't affected it's popularity. (Mark Twain)
current release=doc host=wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de \ "NetBSD-current mirror"

Post by David Hoppe » Thu, 16 May 1996 04:00:00

> >When I try to compile xarchie.2.0.10 under NetBSD 1.1 using gcc 2.4.5
> >I'm getting the following error message (on the loading stage I mean):
> >[...]

> Define '-DNOREGEX' (or some such, see RegExp.c for correct name)
> and recompile -lDir and -lFwf or some such ;-)

Better yet, go to http://www.warped.com/~windsor/netbsd/install-notes/ and look
at Rob Windsor's install notes for NetBSD.  He's got a huge assortment of
diff's for all kinds of apps, including xarchie 2.0.10.

I _highly_ recommend this site to anyone stuck with compiling an ignorant app
on NetBSD.

--

Anthropology Department, Stanford University
NetBSD 1.1 Amiga (tiamat.chaldea.com) : NetBSD 1.1 x86 (marduk.chaldea.com)

1. HELP NetBSD 1.1 first installed

Hello Gurus out there.
I have installed NetBSD 1.1  the first time on a Pentium system,
all things are running well. The only problem is: The binaries I
gathered seem to lack in some add-ons! Where is the administrative
adduser command? There are other missed commands!

If there is somebody out in the world who has any glue, hint or tip
please email me! If you've any good BSD sites in mind, please
email me.

Best wishes and thanks a lot in advance
Oliver Hartmann

Gemaess Paragraph 28 Abs. 3 BDSG untersage ich Ihnen
hiermit die Nutzung oder Uebermittlung der ueber mich
gespeicherten Daten fuer Zwecke der Werbung oder der
Markt- oder Meinungsforschung!

Oliver Hartmann

2. Is the price for 120->133 worth the performance?

3. netbsd 1.1 i386 install help needed

4. Announcement: Simple Sockets Library

5. help:sound under 1.1 + how much memory does NetBSD really use?

6. Help needed !!

7. Help: NetBSD 1.1 finding NCR 53c810 twice!

8. PROBLEM: 2.5.3 DAC960 won't compile

9. help needed: serial port overflows under NetBSD 1.1

10. Help needed with NetBSD 1.1/Amiga: Cannot configure second swap partition

11. Help compiling octave octave-1.1.1

12. Help Compiling Motif 1.1 on RS/6000

13. Apache 1.1 compile help