NetBSD and Novell NetWare 3.12

Post by Tomislav Buturaja » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:52:04

Hi!

Does anybody know how to map directory from Novell NetWare 3.12 to NetBSD 1.6.1 or
any other solution how to connect Novell and NetBDS? I need to transfer files
(daily) from Novell to NetBSD.

Thanks for any help,
Tomislav

NetBSD and Novell NetWare 3.12

Post by Marti » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:19:07

Quote:> Does anybody know how to map directory from Novell NetWare 3.12 to NetBSD
1.6.1 or
> any other solution how to connect Novell and NetBDS? I need to transfer
files
> (daily) from Novell to NetBSD.

NFS for Netware and mount the netware volumes on the BSD box.

Post by Joerg Klemen » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 02:52:17

> Does anybody know how to map directory from Novell NetWare 3.12 to
> NetBSD 1.6.1 or any other solution how to connect Novell and NetBDS?
> I need to transfer files (daily) from Novell to NetBSD.

Netware 3 is a closed system, you need a "Netware client" to access
it. The cheapest way would probably be to use an existing client
(MS-DOS?) to create a point-to-point connection with the Unix host,
e.g. use a null-modem cable to transfer files from MS-DOS to Unix.

You also could try to search ebay for a newer Version (5?) of NetWare
which will do TCP/IP or some IP/IPX bridge. I seem to recall that
there was some IPX (Netware) functionality in NetBSD but you still
need the "client". Caldera Linux had a full Netware client IIRC.

Also please note that Netware 3.12 is *really* old and has a number
unfixed security holes. IIRC you could get a free update to 3.14 or
so.

HTH
joerg

Post by Joerg Klemen » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 03:03:06

>> Does anybody know how to map directory from Novell NetWare 3.12 to NetBSD
> 1.6.1 or
>> any other solution how to connect Novell and NetBDS? I need to transfer
> files
>> (daily) from Novell to NetBSD.

> NFS for Netware and mount the netware volumes on the BSD box.

Netware 3.12 does not support TCP/IP AFAIK.

joerg

Post by Rene Schickbaue » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 03:44:12

>> Does anybody know how to map directory from Novell NetWare 3.12 to
>> NetBSD 1.6.1 or any other solution how to connect Novell and NetBDS?
>> I need to transfer files (daily) from Novell to NetBSD.

> Netware 3 is a closed system, you need a "Netware client" to access
> it. The cheapest way would probably be to use an existing client
> (MS-DOS?) to create a point-to-point connection with the Unix host,
> e.g. use a null-modem cable to transfer files from MS-DOS to Unix.

Novel 3.x already came with Boot-Disks for DOS-Computers (i admin'ed a 3.12
once). I don't think i have a copy anymore (but i'll look into my archive).
If you still have clients for it, it may be straight forward to copy the
boot-files.

You should be able to run the DOS-software in an emulator like dosemu or
vmware, which would allow you to copy the files to local a directory.

You could also try bochs, but you'll certainly need a DOS-driver for your
Network-card.

Anyway, as long as you can get your emulator of choice to quit after running
your DOS-Programm (you may have to simulate a reboot or something) you can
make up a script that mounts your DOS-harddisk-image and extract the copied
file from it.

I'm also very sure that Windows95 had a module to access that old Novel
systems. So either running it in VMWare or playing aroung with that driver
in Wine should work, too.

LLAP & LG
Rene