netbsd 1.1 i386 install help needed

Post by (nul » Thu, 01 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to install netbsd on a 486-66 w/20meg RAM,
405mb IDE drive, and 3com net card.

I've partitioned the disk as a single BSD partition,
using linux's fdisk utility.

I can get through the initial "install" program
from a boot disk, which appears to newfs the partition.
However, from then on, when I try to reboot from the
kernel copy floppy, the following message is quickly
flashed on the screen:

        dumping to dev 201 offset 0
        dump area unavailable
        rebooting

And then the machine reboots.  Anyone know what
the problem might be?

                -- Bruce

p.s. please answer in email; I will summarize to
the group.

Post by (nul » Fri, 02 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>    dumping to dev 201 offset 0
>    dump area unavailable
>    rebooting
>And then the machine reboots.  Anyone know what
>the problem might be?

First, thanks for everyone's help.  Andrew Wheadon

out to be the problem:

Quote:>Looks like problems with your mainboard to me.
>Try setting BIOS-defaults i.e. turning off caches,
>and disabling every nifty feature, enhanced setting
>it has.

I also recreated the kernel copy and install disks.
After turning off all BIOS options, things worked fine.

                -- Bruce

1. NetBSD 1.1 i386 bad144 confusion

Having discovered a couple of bad sectors on the (IDE) hard disk I'm using,
I tried to remap them using "bad144 -a wd0 NNN NNN".  That seemed to
work, and "bad144 wd0" lists the bad sectors I've specified, but they're
still apparently being used by the filesystem.  Any ideas?

Please send responses via email.  I'll be happy to post a summary of the

Regards,

John
--

Computing Disciplines Facility Systems Manager            Phone: 416-978-1928
University of Toronto                                     Fax:   416-978-1931

2. browsers

3. Need some expert OpenBSD help...

4. Installation of i386 NetBsd 1.1

5. AOPEN ALN101-TB ehthernet card + linux = frustration

6. i386 netbsd 1.1, ELF, and Linux

7. Process Name and Threads..

8. NetBSD 1.1/i386 Swap space problem

9. help needed: serial port overflows under NetBSD 1.1

10. Help needed with NetBSD 1.1/Amiga: Cannot configure second swap partition

11. HELP NetBSD 1.1 first installed

12. need info about netbsd 1.1 ports