newbie question: firewalling / networking

newbie question: firewalling / networking

Post by kp » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:54:00

just a quick question(s).

I am coming from a MS world and would like to learn more about unix based
systems.

am I correct to assume that I can have a client dhcp on the wan interface,
and two seperate dhcp blcoks for two seperate nics

wan --> dhcp request from cox.net
lan0 --> dhcp broadcast 10.0.0.1
lan1 --> dhcp broadcast 192.168.1.1

*****
What I want is to be able to NAT from each lan network behind the wan
interface, regardless of the dynamic ip that cox.net assigns me.
*****

I assume this is possible.  can anyone point me to a good howto, or help me
figure out how to do this?

Klint

Post by Hubert Feyre » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:52:03

> wan --> dhcp request from cox.net
> lan0 --> dhcp broadcast 10.0.0.1
> lan1 --> dhcp broadcast 192.168.1.1
> I assume this is possible.  can anyone point me to a good howto, or help me
> figure out how to do this?

run dhclient only on the "wan" interface

/etc/rc.conf:
        dhclient_flags="wan" :-)

and make sure your /etc/dhcpd.conf only answers on the lan interfaces:

/etc/rc.conf:
        dhcpd_flags="lan0 lan1"

Should be pretty obvious...
Of course your /etc/dhcpd.conf will need some fixing for the various
subnets too, somehow. See the manpage (I'm mostly clueless on dhcp)

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html
Of course with your #1 IPv6 ready operating system -> http://www.NetBSD.org/

1. Newbie networking question-firewall

I have a cable modem attached to the uplink of a netgear 10/100 hub
(uplink switch in "Normal" position" and all is well.  I am running a
Mandrake box with a firewall and proxy server which works fine so long
as the modem is plugged into the hub and not directly into the
firewall box.  It seems to me that the correct way to connect would be
cable modem to WAN NIC in firewall box and LAN NIC to hub for the rest
of the network.  When I do that, the other boxes can't see the
Internet.  Any suggestions warmly accepted.  Please reply to list or
replace warmmail with you know what in my email address.  TIA

2. Intel L440GX+ Redhat 8 Problems

3. Networking Conceptual Questions from a Network Newbie (sorta long)

4. Best kernel version for high performance GigE benchmarking

5. Newbie firewall question

6. Remote Data Gathering Connection

7. firewall question (newbie)

8. Matrox G400 Driver

9. Newbie firewall question

10. newbie firewall question - Why does my SMTP server not work

11. A newbie firewall user has a question about Frazierwall...

12. NewBie Question : Firewall - IP Masq and similar

13. Newbie Firewall question