Trouble installing macBSD

Post by Luke Fabi » Wed, 10 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi all,

I'm trying to install the 68k version of BSD1.1.  I've got
as far as using the install utility to install the packages,
but I get the following message whenever I try:

   Choose file to unpack
   bad checksum in tar header 2335 0
   Probably not a valid tar file.
   Try using the mini-shell and cpin or cpout.
   Finished extracting etc11.

I've tried getting the files from a couple of sites, but
still the same message.  I've unzipped them myself using
MacGzip, and tried installing from as far as they'll unzip,
and as a .gz file, but still the same problem.

Is there anything I should/shouldn't be doing along the way?
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Luke.

Trouble installing macBSD

Post by Chris Lars » Sat, 13 Apr 1996 04:00:00

:>
:>I've tried getting the files from a couple of sites, but
:>still the same message.  I've unzipped them myself using
:>MacGzip, and tried installing from as far as they'll unzip,
:>and as a .gz file, but still the same problem.
:>
:>Is there anything I should/shouldn't be doing along the way?
:>Any advice would be very much appreciated.
:>

Don't unzip/untar them. The installer will do that for you.
It seems you might be corrupting them somewhere along the way.

Also, make sure you do any ftp'ing in binary mode.

good luck

Chris
--

Lab Assistant-Backups     Computer Science Dept.
University of Tennessee- Knoxville

1. MacBSD Troubles...

Humbly I say... A computer has beaten be....Well, with your help maybe
not.

This is a plea for anyone who is fluent in MacBSD. I have installed the
1.3.X kernel MacBSD OK so far, but I can't get the c compiler (cc or
gcc) to compile anything and have it run. what am I doing wrong?!? I can
run the dbg on my code and it will run, so I know im not writing bumm
code. What can I do...

next is the proper installation and config of xfree. I downloaded and
tried to installed the stupid thing and I must have fallen asleep while
reading the instructions, because I don't know how to configure, let
alone start the evil thing... HELP!!!!

There a many more things, but I'm to exhaused to care right now. Thanks
in advance!!!!!

-Wes Yates - one beatten puppy.

*remember, answering might just put you on my "hand helpers list". But I
do reciprocate a favor!!

2. Rhino 6VXsupport

3. file system trouble with MacBSD

4. WinModem on VMWARE for Linux ... Workable solution?

5. MacBSD color mapping trouble

6. select() and pthread...

7. installing MacBSD on an IDE HD

8. Where is the 'task_struct'?

9. MacBSD: install HOWTO?

10. Red Hat RPM troubles: installed and not installed at the same time

11. More@!!.. Panasonic/SB-CD troubles, trouble, trouble...

12. Trouble, trouble, trouble - SCSI ?

13. MacBSD printing