Help me, Mister Wizard!

Post by Rob Landr » Thu, 16 May 1996 04:00:00

I'm running NetBSD 1.1/i386 on a Compudyne 386-33 with 4 MB RAM and a 1.2
GB hard drive.  Every few days the system freezes up.

When that happens, it won't respond to anything typed on the keyboard.
The machine can be pinged, however, and I can telnet to it and get
"Connected to zzzzz.wcrb.com", but no login prompt.  The machine runs
sendmail, named and httpd, none of which respond while it is in its
"comatose" state.  The only way I've been able to bring it back to life
is to power it down and cold-boot it.

When it first happened, I thought the problem might have been caused by a
power surge, so I put the machine on a UPS.

When the machine next froze up, I decided it must be a hardware problem.
So I took out the hard drive and network adapter and installed them in a
completely different computer.

And the problem happened again.  If it's not a hardware problem, and it's
not Boston Edison's fault, then there must be something wrong with NetBSD
or the way I've installed it.

NetBSD 1.1 is the only OS installed on this machine, which is used as a
DNS server, mail server and HTTP server for our local area network.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might track this problem down?

Rob Landry
WCRB 102.5 FM Classical Radio Boston

Help me, Mister Wizard!

Post by Rainer Doeme » Thu, 16 May 1996 04:00:00

>I'm running NetBSD 1.1/i386 on a Compudyne 386-33 with 4 MB RAM and a 1.2
>GB hard drive.  Every few days the system freezes up.

>When that happens, it won't respond to anything typed on the keyboard.
>The machine can be pinged, however, and I can telnet to it and get
>"Connected to zzzzz.wcrb.com", but no login prompt.  The machine runs
>sendmail, named and httpd, none of which respond while it is in its
>"comatose" state.  The only way I've been able to bring it back to life
>is to power it down and cold-boot it.
>[...]

I've the same problem with NetBSD 1.1 on my AMIGA! The symptoms are
exactly the same as yours.

Quote:>Does anyone have any ideas on how I might track this problem down?

Sorry, I didn't find a solution to this problem yet, but in my case
the problem seems to depend on the daily/weekly/monthly scripts.
You can find these files in the /etc directory and they are called
regulary by a cron job (check your crontab).
Everytime my system freezes it's been while executing one of these
scripts...

Hope this helps...

Rainer.

Rainer Doemer

University of California, Irvine    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~doemer

Help me, Mister Wizard!

Post by I'Kha » Thu, 16 May 1996 04:00:00

>I'm running NetBSD 1.1/i386 on a Compudyne 386-33 with 4 MB RAM and a 1.2
>GB hard drive.  Every few days the system freezes up.

>When that happens, it won't respond to anything typed on the keyboard.
>The machine can be pinged, however, and I can telnet to it and get
>"Connected to zzzzz.wcrb.com", but no login prompt.  The machine runs
>sendmail, named and httpd, none of which respond while it is in its
>"comatose" state.  The only way I've been able to bring it back to life
>is to power it down and cold-boot it.

>When it first happened, I thought the problem might have been caused by a
>power surge, so I put the machine on a UPS.

>When the machine next froze up, I decided it must be a hardware problem.
>So I took out the hard drive and network adapter and installed them in a
>completely different computer.

>And the problem happened again.  If it's not a hardware problem, and it's
>not Boston Edison's fault, then there must be something wrong with NetBSD
>or the way I've installed it.

>NetBSD 1.1 is the only OS installed on this machine, which is used as a
>DNS server, mail server and HTTP server for our local area network.

>Does anyone have any ideas on how I might track this problem down?

>Rob Landry
>WCRB 102.5 FM Classical Radio Boston

i'm certainly no wizard, but 4mb of ram seems a bit tight for what
you're doing.  try installing another 4mb at least and see what
happens ... :)

i'chi
--

Support the free! - NetBSD/FreeBSD/Linux/Minix
Freely distributable O/S's and software ...

1. comp.unix.wizards comp.lang.c comp.sys.sun alt.unix.wizards alt.unix.wizards.free

Has anyone seen this type of error on the following platform and the Sun C
Compiler ??  The C program in question returns an integer from main and core
dumps with the error message below.  We replaced the return with an exit and
the error disappeared.  We ran the program in the debugger with check -all
and it gets a segmentation fault on the return statement.

Platform: SunOS oscar 5.4 Generic_101945-36 sun4d sparc

reading symbolic information for prdbc301
core file header read successfully
core file read error: address 0xdf7f1de0 not in data space
error while reading shared library list
program terminated by signal SEGV (no mapping at the fault address)
(debugger)

PLEASE SEND me e-mail instead of posting back an answer.

Thanx in advance,

Julie M. Kalman

2. Netscape and IE mail security hole

3. alt.unix.wizard, alt.unix.wizard.free, comp.unix.admin

4. ROOT made almost powerless...

5. Mister Linux

6. Best way to upgrade to KDE3 from Afterstep (RH5.1) ??

7. Help needed from Linux Wizard.....

8. Mips R3000 board development

9. NOHUP, FORK, DISCONNECT - Help me Mr. Wizard .

10. libc wizard's help needed! (scandir problem)

11. "UNIX WIZARD" Sought by Cleveland-based Firm: Help!!!

12. HELP...Wizards of CGI needed to work magic

13. 'as' wizards, help!