Mutt Package Doesn't Like OpenSSL Package Version

Mutt Package Doesn't Like OpenSSL Package Version

Post by Nick Boy » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 00:23:34



Hi all,

I'm trying to install the Mutt binary package available from
www.netbsd.org for NetBSD 1.4.2/pmax, and am having to install a long
line of dependencies first (e.g. Perl [Perl ... for a mail client
???], OpenSSL, Ncurses, Libtool, etc., etc.).  I have finally hit a
brick wall, as having installed all the dependencies, I'm now getting
this :

[mybox packages]# pkg_info
[...]
perl-5.6.1nb5       Practical Extraction and Report Language
openssl-0.9.6nb2    Secure Socket Layer and cryptographic library
[...]

[mybox packages]# ls -l mutt*
total 8430
-rw-rw----  1 root  wheel  1060160 Oct 10 18:20 mutt-1.2i.tgz

[mybox packages]# pkg_add -n mutt*
Requested space: 4240640 bytes, free space: 154375168 bytes in
/var/tmp/instmp.26793a
Depends pre-scan: `ncurses>=4.2' required.
Depends pre-scan: `openssl>=0.9.5a' required.
pkg_add: pkg `openssl>=0.9.5a' required, but `openssl-0.9.6nb2' found
installed.
pkg_add: Please resolve this conflict!
pkg_add: 1 package addition(s) failed

I put OpenSSL 0.9.6nb2 in because it seemed advisable (IIRC there are
tiny security holes in OpenSSL < 0.9.6a), rather than the 0.9.5a being
asked for.  I can't see the problem being simply because 0.9.6 >
0.9.5, because Mutt also demanded Ncurses >= 4.2, and I've put Ncurses
5.2 in without Mutt complaining.

Can anyone advise me how to proceed ?
Thanks,
Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK
--
Expert, n.: Someone who comes from out of town and shows slides

 
 
 

Mutt Package Doesn't Like OpenSSL Package Version

Post by ni.. » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:12:09


The quick dirty way...remove openssl out of the dependency list and
see if it compiles.

The proper way to get it fixed... man send-pr

Regards
Nigel


> Hi all,
> I'm trying to install the Mutt binary package available from
> www.netbsd.org for NetBSD 1.4.2/pmax, and am having to install a long
> line of dependencies first (e.g. Perl [Perl ... for a mail client
> ???], OpenSSL, Ncurses, Libtool, etc., etc.).  I have finally hit a
> brick wall, as having installed all the dependencies, I'm now getting
> this :
> [mybox packages]# pkg_info
> [...]
> perl-5.6.1nb5       Practical Extraction and Report Language
> openssl-0.9.6nb2    Secure Socket Layer and cryptographic library
> [...]
> [mybox packages]# ls -l mutt*
> total 8430
> -rw-rw----  1 root  wheel  1060160 Oct 10 18:20 mutt-1.2i.tgz
> [mybox packages]# pkg_add -n mutt*
> Requested space: 4240640 bytes, free space: 154375168 bytes in
> /var/tmp/instmp.26793a
> Depends pre-scan: `ncurses>=4.2' required.
> Depends pre-scan: `openssl>=0.9.5a' required.
> pkg_add: pkg `openssl>=0.9.5a' required, but `openssl-0.9.6nb2' found
> installed.
> pkg_add: Please resolve this conflict!
> pkg_add: 1 package addition(s) failed
> I put OpenSSL 0.9.6nb2 in because it seemed advisable (IIRC there are
> tiny security holes in OpenSSL < 0.9.6a), rather than the 0.9.5a being
> asked for.  I can't see the problem being simply because 0.9.6 >
> 0.9.5, because Mutt also demanded Ncurses >= 4.2, and I've put Ncurses
> 5.2 in without Mutt complaining.
> Can anyone advise me how to proceed ?
> Thanks,
> Nick Boyce
> Bristol, UK
> --
> Expert, n.: Someone who comes from out of town and shows slides

--

 
 
 

Mutt Package Doesn't Like OpenSSL Package Version

Post by Nick Boyc » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 12:10:00




>> I'm trying to install the Mutt binary package
[...]
>> ... having installed all the dependencies, I'm now getting
>> this :
[...]
>> [mybox packages]# pkg_add -n mutt*
>> Requested space: 4240640 bytes, free space: 154375168 bytes in
>> /var/tmp/instmp.26793a
>> Depends pre-scan: `ncurses>=4.2' required.
>> Depends pre-scan: `openssl>=0.9.5a' required.
>> pkg_add: pkg `openssl>=0.9.5a' required, but `openssl-0.9.6nb2' found
>> installed.
>> pkg_add: Please resolve this conflict!
>> pkg_add: 1 package addition(s) failed
[...]
>> Can anyone advise me how to proceed ?

>The quick dirty way...remove openssl out of the dependency list and
>see if it compiles.

OK - I'll find out how that's done (fiddle with the package ?), and
try.  Maybe I should try a later Mutt, although all Mutts later than
1.2.5 are supposedly beta.

Quote:>The proper way to get it fixed... man send-pr

Ah - that's what I was wondering - whether it's a packaging bug.
Thanks.

Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK
--
Remember:
If brute force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.

 
 
 

Mutt Package Doesn't Like OpenSSL Package Version

Post by ni.. » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 21:55:23


I'm using 1.2.5i without any problems.

In pkgsrc/mail/mutt there are a couple of things you can look at
in the Makefile

MUTT_USE_SSL?=          YES

You could try changing that to "NO"

#USE_SSL=               YES

This line is commented out. If yours isn't then you may want to try
that.

Regards
Nigel




>>> I'm trying to install the Mutt binary package
> [...]
>>> ... having installed all the dependencies, I'm now getting
>>> this :
> [...]
>>> [mybox packages]# pkg_add -n mutt*
>>> Requested space: 4240640 bytes, free space: 154375168 bytes in
>>> /var/tmp/instmp.26793a
>>> Depends pre-scan: `ncurses>=4.2' required.
>>> Depends pre-scan: `openssl>=0.9.5a' required.
>>> pkg_add: pkg `openssl>=0.9.5a' required, but `openssl-0.9.6nb2' found
>>> installed.
>>> pkg_add: Please resolve this conflict!
>>> pkg_add: 1 package addition(s) failed
> [...]
>>> Can anyone advise me how to proceed ?

>>The quick dirty way...remove openssl out of the dependency list and
>>see if it compiles.
> OK - I'll find out how that's done (fiddle with the package ?), and
> try.  Maybe I should try a later Mutt, although all Mutts later than
> 1.2.5 are supposedly beta.
>>The proper way to get it fixed... man send-pr
> Ah - that's what I was wondering - whether it's a packaging bug.
> Thanks.
> Nick Boyce
> Bristol, UK
> --
> Remember:
> If brute force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.

--
 
 
 

Mutt Package Doesn't Like OpenSSL Package Version

Post by Frederick Bruckm » Sun, 21 Oct 2001 03:30:43






>>> I'm trying to install the Mutt binary package
> [...]
>>> ... having installed all the dependencies, I'm now getting
>>> this :
> [...]
>>> [mybox packages]# pkg_add -n mutt*
>>> Requested space: 4240640 bytes, free space: 154375168 bytes in
>>> /var/tmp/instmp.26793a
>>> Depends pre-scan: `ncurses>=4.2' required.
>>> Depends pre-scan: `openssl>=0.9.5a' required.
>>> pkg_add: pkg `openssl>=0.9.5a' required, but `openssl-0.9.6nb2' found
>>> installed.

That mutt binary package is obsolete. The problem is that the ">="
operator only works with pure numeric version numbers -- and exact
matches, which is why it wasn't noticed when 1.4.2 was released (when
openssl-0.9.5a was the latest).

You need a "mutt" package that was built against your version of
openssl (the latest version). Your best bet is probably to build
it yourself, which is still easier than rebuilding openssl.
--

Frederick

 
 
 

Mutt Package Doesn't Like OpenSSL Package Version

Post by Nick » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 10:58:47





>>>> I'm trying to install the Mutt binary package
>> [...]
>>>> ... having installed all the dependencies, I'm now getting
>>>> this :
>> [...]
>>>> [mybox packages]# pkg_add -n mutt*
>>>> Requested space: 4240640 bytes, free space: 154375168 bytes in
>>>> /var/tmp/instmp.26793a
>>>> Depends pre-scan: `ncurses>=4.2' required.
>>>> Depends pre-scan: `openssl>=0.9.5a' required.
>>>> pkg_add: pkg `openssl>=0.9.5a' required, but `openssl-0.9.6nb2' found
>>>> installed.

>That mutt binary package is obsolete. The problem is that the ">="
>operator only works with pure numeric version numbers -- and exact
>matches, which is why it wasn't noticed when 1.4.2 was released (when
>openssl-0.9.5a was the latest).

Ah - thanks for the explanation .. [and sorry for my belated reply -
been away from my keyboard ...]

Quote:>You need a "mutt" package that was built against your version of
>openssl (the latest version). Your best bet is probably to build
>it yourself, which is still easier than rebuilding openssl.

Makes sense.  Do you mean build a proper NetBSD package from something
like mutt-1.3.21i.tar.gz in
ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/distfiles, or get the latest source
tarball (mutt-1.3.23i.tar.gz) from www.mutt.org and build it
"alien-style" ?

Cheers,

Nick
Bristol, UK
--
Bombeck's Rule of Medicine: Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.

 
 
 

Mutt Package Doesn't Like OpenSSL Package Version

Post by Frederick Bruckm » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 12:05:15







>>>>> Requested space: 4240640 bytes, free space: 154375168 bytes in
>>>>> /var/tmp/instmp.26793a
>>>>> Depends pre-scan: `ncurses>=4.2' required.
>>>>> Depends pre-scan: `openssl>=0.9.5a' required.
>>>>> pkg_add: pkg `openssl>=0.9.5a' required, but `openssl-0.9.6nb2' found
>>>>> installed.

>>That mutt binary package is obsolete. The problem is that the ">="
>>operator only works with pure numeric version numbers -- and exact
>>matches, which is why it wasn't noticed when 1.4.2 was released (when
>>openssl-0.9.5a was the latest).

>>You need a "mutt" package that was built against your version of
>>openssl (the latest version). Your best bet is probably to build
>>it yourself, which is still easier than rebuilding openssl.

> Makes sense.  Do you mean build a proper NetBSD package from something
> like mutt-1.3.21i.tar.gz in
> ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/distfiles, or get the latest source
> tarball (mutt-1.3.23i.tar.gz) from www.mutt.org and build it
> "alien-style" ?

I meant the former. By the way, if you build the package yourself,
and if you have no use for openssl support in "mutt" (whatever that
does), you can avoid any dependency on openssl by setting
${MUTT_USE_SSL} to "NO" in "/etc/mk.conf" before building.
--

Frederick