Least painful way of installing NetBSD/pmax?

Least painful way of installing NetBSD/pmax?

Post by Georg Schwa » Fri, 03 Dec 1999 04:00:00

What's the least painful way of installing NetBSD/pmax on a DECstation
2100? LAN and internet access is available as well as various running
systems, incl. Linux and Ultrix. An external CD ROM and other media
could also be obtained. Are there bootable CD images? Which file system
is being used to boot from, and which other systems could write it?

--

Institut fr Theoretische Physik       +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130
Technische Universit?t Berlin        http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/

Least painful way of installing NetBSD/pmax?

Post by Chris Trib » Sat, 04 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> What's the least painful way of installing NetBSD/pmax on a DECstation
> 2100? LAN and internet access is available as well as various running
> systems, incl. Linux and Ultrix. An external CD ROM and other media
> could also be obtained. Are there bootable CD images? Which file system
> is being used to boot from, and which other systems could write it?

    No need, provided you can get the install kernel booted, you can guide
it to NFS shared volumes or local directories/volumes. Depending on your
CDROM, it is probably worlds faster to install by NFS mounted volumes. I
haven't done the tftpboot setup, I was fortunate to have a mop image to use
to boot my vax station for NetBSD so I could install it that way. There is
reasonably good docs, including a step by step netboot FAQ on the NetBSD web
site under documentation. It includes NetBSD, FreeBSD and Linux.

    Chris

Least painful way of installing NetBSD/pmax?

Post by Rado Faleti » Sat, 04 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I download the whole distro to my home directory on a local machine - a
machine which had an FTP daemon running. I was then lucky enough to have
an external HDD lying around, so I dumped the boot kernel onto this HDD
(as per the instructions under another Ultrix machine I have), connected
the HDD to my DECstation, and booted no worries and everything got FTP'd
from my local FTP site. This way I don't need to be root user on any
machine other than my DECstation.

My old Ultrix install was via CD-ROM, and I believe FTP is faster,
particularly given that the only CD-ROM I found which was compatible was
an old DEC device which was at best single speed.

1. What is the least painful way to install ports on system without /usr/ports directory?

Hi all:

  One of the difference between FreeBSD 4.4 and previous edition is
that (1) the install.iso disk has only a minimal of packages; a
drastic reduction from 4.3 edition; (2) on the www.freebsd.org, the
ports do not come in tar'ed files anymore; all the Makefile etc are
separate.

  This has created such painful situation for me. I did not want a
million tiny files from the ports that I don't want to use; so, I did
not install any ports when I install FreeBSD and I am without the
/usr/ports directory. I use pkg_add to add things I need so far.

  But there are ports I want, such as the xmms. The problem is that
ports like xmms has a huge dependency list, and each port on this list
has its own dependency, and I refuse to suffer the pain of downloading
every Makefile and patch file and checksum file for every port and its
depency port. It is just too much.

  The FAQ and Handbook says do "make foo-bar" or "make search=foobar,"
in the /usr/ports. But I don't even have and I don't want to have
unnecessary junks in this directory if I have to mkdir it. And the
whole ports tar file is 15 megs most of which I don't want.

  Can you experts and High Minds of the FreeBSD Collective please lend
me a hand and help me out of this quamire?

  Thanks so much! I will lower my shields and surrender my weapons. If
this question has been answer adequately, although I can't find such
news thread, then just assimilate me.

vector sigma

2. cc -KPIC and linking....

3. decstation 5000/133: linux/MIPS, OpenBSD/pmax or NetBSD/pmax

4. ppp not seeing "8 bit clean" when it is.

5. install NetBSD on pmax

6. Configuring Email using mmdf

7. install problems/confusion with NetBSD on pmax

8. Which is least painful???

9. Least painful way to add wireless to desktop machine?

10. netbsd for pmax

11. NetBSD/pmax installation problem

12. pmax NetBSD 1.4 ftpd problem