core won't dump?

Post by Kevin Brow » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

When my NetBSD 1.1 kernel crashes (due to my own faulty code), the core
does not dump succesfully.  I get the following messages:

syncing disks... done
dumping to dev 1, offset 8
dump32 wd0:wddump recal failed status 0 error 0
io error

then it reboots and savecore detects no core when it comes back up.

my fstab looks like
/dev/wd0a / ffs rw 1 1
/dev/wd0b none swap sw
/dev/wd0e /usr ffs rw 1 2
/dev/wd0f /dos msdos rw 1 2

and I have "swapon -a" in the /etc/rc file.

I'm concerned that my swap partition might be too small.  From the
disklabel, it's:
(512 B/sec)(4032 sec/cyl)(16 cyl) = 33,030,144 bytes
My memory is 32 MB.  Is this counted as:
32 * 10^6 = 32,000,000  or
32 * 2^20 = 33,554,432 ?

If space is really the problem, I'll repartition things, but I don't
want to do unless necessary.
My system has an 1.2 GB EIDE disk.

Thanks in advance for any advice.  A crashdump would really help me out.
Kevin
--
Kevin Brown

University of South Carolina            http://www.cs.sc.edu/~kbrown
Columbia SC 29208                       (803) 777-3774

1. Slackware '96 - Syslogd won't run, craps out with a core dump...

Hello,
        Wondering if anyone can lend a fellow a hand.  Running slackware '96,
and syslogd keeps crapping out with a core dump, and has never run from
install.  Well, that is not true, one day it actually ran, but I never found out
why.  But, rpm'ing the latest version didn't work, recompilling didn't work,
I am at a loss.  I know I read of atleast 1 other person who had this happening.

Does anyone have a solution?  This is driving me crazy, since the only time PPP
has ever worked for me, was (strangely enough) the only time syslogd decided
to work.  I think the problem may be related, but I digress.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Chris Woods

2. ftpshut problem

3. mod_jk won't build on FreeBSD, linux-jdk13 core dumps, JBoss ports, oh my...

4. Substitute of Xt

5. gdb won't recognize core dump files

6. Mozilla 0.9.8 and jdk1.3.1

7. Why won't my processes core dump???

8. Real IP on Private Network?

9. dump core or not dump core

10. core dumps core dumps everywhere...

11. c4gl core dumps: (script calls 'i4glc1' which seems to be 'i4gl' and 'i4gl' is core dumping)

12. 'freq' util for Stealth core dumps under SLS 1.03

13. Redhat 5.0 / 'who' dumping core