NetBSD 1.0 pppd problem

Post by yoshinori mura » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

Hello.  I have NetBSD 1.0 (I know I need to update it, but I'm busy with skating and stuff)
running on my machine.  I use slip(!) to connect to a local internet service.  But, they don't
like the software.  They want me to use ppp, but my pppd doesn't work as I want it to.
Am I running pppd right?  This is what I do at prompt: ppd -d crtscts modem noipdefault connect 'chat "" ATDT "their phone number"  If someone could help me with this, I would appreciate it very much.

                                                                        La8er, Yoshi
--
                                                                        La8er,  Yoshi

                Here comes da flava for ya mind...

NetBSD 1.0 pppd problem

Post by jeff gi » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

> Hello.  I have NetBSD 1.0 (I know I need to update it, but I'm busy

with skating and stuff)
Quote:> running on my machine.  I use slip(!) to connect to a local

internet service.  But, they don't
Quote:> like the software.  They want me to use ppp, but my pppd doesn't

work as I want it to.
Quote:> Am I running pppd right?  This is what I do at prompt: ppd -d

crtscts modem noipdefault connect 'chat "" ATDT "their phone number"
If someone could help me with this, I would appreciate it very much.
Quote:

>                                              La8
> --
>                                              La8e

>           Here comes da flava for ya mind.
> I avoid the pppd problems by using kermit to login to my provider,

and then exiting and running pppd simply with the tty name and speed,
i.e.
pppd /dev/tty00 38400 .  This works for my ppp provider, hope it
helps.
JeGill

NetBSD 1.0 pppd problem

Post by Curt Samps » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

The ppp under NetBSD 1.0 seemed to me to be broken, last time I tried
it. You should be able to grab the source code (/usr/src/usr.sbin/pppd)
from 1.1 or -current and compile that up and use it, though.

I've used both the 1.1 and the -current pppds, and both work fine. I
had very little luck getting 1.0 to work.

cjs
--

Internet Portal Services, Inc.
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400          De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.

NetBSD 1.0 pppd problem

Post by Mark Wille » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: The ppp under NetBSD 1.0 seemed to me to be broken, last time I tried
: it. You should be able to grab the source code (/usr/src/usr.sbin/pppd)
: from 1.1 or -current and compile that up and use it, though.

: I've used both the 1.1 and the -current pppds, and both work fine. I
: had very little luck getting 1.0 to work.

Although if you wait a while, 1.2 may come out.  Anybody know the
timetable on that?  I just went on a shopping spree and ordered a bunch
of hardware in anticipation of doing some of the new things that 1.2
will let me do...  (ppp, sb16 among them :)

Mark

--
 Mark Willey
 Intel, Corp.

NetBSD 1.0 pppd problem

Post by Curt Samps » Sun, 02 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Although if you wait a while, 1.2 may come out.  Anybody know the
>timetable on that?

We're in feature freeze right now, but I've not heard any word of a
definite release date. I can't imagine it being more than a few weeks
away, however; things went quite quickly after the 1.1 freeze.

cjs

--

Internet Portal Services, Inc.
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400          De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.

1. Getting PPPD to work on NetBSD 1.0

Hi,

I have searched for the answers to these problems for the last week, but
so far I didn' t come to an answer, so I'll post it in here:

I've installed NetBSD 1.0 on my 386 machine with an Adaptec 1542CF SCSI adapter.
Ever since I've been trying to put pppd to work, without success.

I have an internal Zoom VFP 24.400 modem connected to tty02 / IRQ 9 / 0x3e8
(I have rebuilt the kernel for it to work).

When I use pppd with the "connect chat xxxx" option, I can't get chat to be
lunched. My gess is that it doesn't initialize the modem port. When I type
stty -f /dev/tty02 I get CS7 and PARENB. I can't change this with stty !

When I use cu, everything works fine and the modem connects to remote
systems. If I go into shell with ~!, and stty the modem port, it is
correctely configured to CS8/-parenb , and if I lunch pppd with chat,
it works fine.

I've configured clocal in /etc/ttys, so it gets the clocal flag.

My question is, how can I start pppd without entering and "shelling" cu.

One other thing comes when I connect through PPP to my service provider.
Aparentely everything seems to be right, but after a few minutes of
network usage, the connection hangs without leaving a notice. The modem
is still connected, but to network traffic is forwardeed. I have to
kill -TERM pppd and reconnect to get it back to work. The time it takes
to hang is variable. Sometimes it hangs right after connecting, sometimes
I'm downloading a 1MB file and it hangs at 500k... When I call through
cu as a terminal emulator, the connection doesn't hang. Also, when I used
pppd in FreeBSD, it didn't hang either.

Did anyone out there has ever experienced similar problems ? Is there any
way to fix these ?

I wanted to get the FreeBSD-current kernel version, but I can't transfer
more than 500k-1M without loosing the connection...

Any help would be apreciated,
Thanks,
Joao.

2. Boot Manager

3. Problems install NetBSD 1.0

4. HELP: Red Hat 4.2 kernel/ethenet problem still persists.

5. Having problems with a modem in NetBSD 1.0

6. DOES LILO KILL DOS?

7. Filesystem problems with NetBSD 1.0

8. New Linux Distro

9. Dialup PPP under NetBSD 1.0 Problems.

10. Problem with talk in NetBSD 1.0

11. PS/2 style mice with NetBSD 1.0

12. WangDAT 1300 on NetBSD 1.0 => device busy

13. Boot select program for Netbsd 1.0/Win 95