NetBSD 1.4.1 'reboot' command often fails on HP-E60 (PIII)

NetBSD 1.4.1 'reboot' command often fails on HP-E60 (PIII)

Post by news.xtra.co.n » Mon, 30 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I've recently installed NetBSD 1.4.1 on an HP-E60 (Intel PIII-500, ATX
motherboard, Adaptec SCSI disk, Phoenix BIOS). When I issue the 'reboot'
command, it sync's fine then says "Rebooting..." - and sometimes it does!
Mostly though it just sits there, requiring a power-cycle to get it going
again. The same problem can occur after a kernel panic.

*** Anyone else experienced similar problems?

*** Anyone seen any solutions or workarounds for this situation?

It would be very helpful to be able to reliably reboot this box.

Aaron.

----

Tel: +64 4 802-5025 / Fax: +64 4 382-9888
The Toolbox, PO Box 11-637, Wellington, New Zealand
http://www.toolbox.co.nz/

1. Reboot command fails, post setup reboot fails

Hi there.

I am having a problem with a number of machines that my company has
bought.  After installing RedHat and Linux attempts to reboot itself,
the reboot fails.  It unmounts the system and gets to the line right
before the reboot should occur, but then it freezes and the reboot
never occurs.

Rebooting manually results in a perfectly valid Linux installation.
However, issuing the "reboot" or "shutdown" commands result in the same
failure ...

It is pretty important that I find a solution this because we will need
the capability to reboot the machine remotely.

As a test, I booted from a DOS disk and ran a "reboot" command that I
downloaded from the old Simtel archives... It worked fine.

As an additional test, I tried booting the computer using Slackware
boot disks and issuing its "reboot" command... This failed just like
RedHat, so it is definitely something about Linux.

The systems have dual Pentium II 450Mhz, 256 MB RAM, AMI BIOS, Adaptec
SCSI cards.  Also, the CPUs are on cards, not on the "main" board.

Thanks for any help,

-Will Hatcher

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. comp.os.linux.misc

3. Solaris equivalent of HP-UX's 'ied' command

4. Copying the boot partition

5. Connecting to my ISP,Please help!

6. Exit, stage left. . . .

7. Piping results of a 'find' command to a 'mv' command...

8. m80 will 'boot' but won't 'reboot'

9. What can cause 'reboot' to fail?

10. How to hide from 'who', 'finger', 'ps' commands?

11. 'reboot' sometimes reboots my machine!!