ATAPI compatible IDE CD-ROMs

IS there any work going on at the moment to support the above for NetBSD?

Post by Manuel Bouy » Tue, 21 May 1996 04:00:00

> IS there any work going on at the moment to support the above for NetBSD?

I've a driver for ATAPI CDROMS available at:
ftp://lix.polytechnique.fr/pub/manu

for 1.1 and -current (the last is quite out of date).
I hope it will be integrated in 1.2.

--
Manuel Bouyer, LIX, Ecole Polytechnique

--

Post by Michael Eriksson T » Wed, 22 May 1996 04:00:00

> I've a driver for ATAPI CDROMS available at:
> ftp://lix.polytechnique.fr/pub/manu

> for 1.1 and -current (the last is quite out of date).
> I hope it will be integrated in 1.2.

Any hope for support for audio CDs? I see code fragments #ifdef'd
notyet in sys/atapi/acd.c.
--

NO CARRIER

ATAPI compatible IDE CD-ROMs

Post by Manuel Bouy » Wed, 22 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> Any hope for support for audio CDs?

Not at short term, this is not at hight priority on my todo list ...
Is there a volunteer ?

Quote:> I see code fragments #ifdef'd notyet in sys/atapi/acd.c.

These codes comes from sys/scsi/cd.c. Only to remember the ioctl's wich are
not yet supported ...

--
Manuel Bouyer, Ecole Nationale Superieure de Techniques Avancees, Paris

--

1. New IDE-CD/extended IDE driver supports Sony 55E ATAPI CD-ROM!

I'm now successfully using my Sony CDU-55E CDROM drive (an ATAPI drive)
from Linux.  I'm using 1.1.75 plus the ide/ide-cd patch by Mike Lord and
Scott Snyder.  I understand that this code is now part of 1.1.76.  Cool!
This means that just about all my stuff is now supported by "standard Linux".

There are some rough edges.  As mentioned in the README.ide file in
/usr/src/linux/drivers/block, the mount command for the cdrom must be
just right; if a block size other than 2048 is used (or block size
isn't specified, weird errors result).  I initially thought this meant
it didn't quite work.  However, given the exact commands mentioned in
README.ide:

        ln -sf /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom
        mkdir /cd
        mount /dev/cdrom /cd -t iso9660 -o ro,block=2048

I am now successfully reading CDROMs.

Some folks mentioned that they got the older NEC-260 driver to work
provided they'd booted DOS first and used LOADLIN; I'm booting from
LILO and everything works fine.

Note that this drive isn't mentioned in the README.ide file.  Anyone
documenting this, please add the Sony 55E to the list of drives it
works with.

Thanks to all who sent me mail, and especially to Scott Snyder for writing
ide-cd.c !

--

Phone: +1 415 694 1729

2. startup script

3. IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM and Que/CD-ROM setup

4. BAD: Change Root's Default Shell

5. Q: IDE Hitachi 8X ATAPI-BUS IDE (CDR-7930) CD-ROM

6. unknown host error

7. 4 ide drives & Mitsumi (IDE/ATAPI) CD-ROM via SB

8. TN3270 emulation?

9. Any linux cd-roms for ide/atapi?

10. Looking for a cheap (atapi) compatible cd-rom any recommendations?

11. mounting ide/atapi cd-rom

12. 1.1.81 and Mitsumi 4X IDE (ATAPI) CD-ROM problems

13. ATAPI CD-ROM on secondary IDE port